Ms. Ayesha Begum
Dept. of Applied Food Science & Nutrition,
Faculty of Food Science and Technology,
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
TelePhone: + 88 - 03l - 2566715.
Ayesha Begum received the B.Sc. and MS degrees in Nutrition and Food Science from Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka. She joined as a lecturer in the department of Applied Food Science and Nutrition, CVASU in 2012 and at present working as an Assistant Professor in the department of Applied Food Science and Nutrition under the faculty of Food Science and Technology in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from June 29, 2014 to till date.
Ayesha Begum is interested to do research in the area of Nutrition and Food Science and has already published few papers in reputed journals.
As a nutritionist I am interested to do research in the areas of community nutrition, food science and food composition. My research involves in psychosocial and behavioral issues related to lifestyle behavior change (diet and physical activity) and weight management, assessing nutritional status among community people as well addressing nutritional problems. Apart from this I would like to conduct research on food adulteration such as heavy metal determination in different food samples in our country which is becoming an emerging issue now days.
1) Begum, A., Zebsyn, S. and Bhuyan, M.A.H. December, 2011-2012. Advertisements in various television channels on food items & understandability of telecasted programs influencing nutritional status of urban graduate mothers. Bangladesh Journal of Nutrition, 24-25: 65-76. (ISSN 1013 -6037).
2) Begum, A., Bhuyan, M.A.H. October, 2011. Food intake, disease pattern and associated factors of elderly population in Dhaka City. Bangladesh Journal of Geriatrics, 46: 84-93. (ISSN 1012-9197).
3) Morshed, S., Alam, M. K., Begum, A., Shahriar, S. M. S., Sharmin, K. N. and Akther, S. 2012. Physicochemical Properties and Chemical Constituents of Oil from Joan Seed (Trachyspermum ammi L). Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2):15-21. (ISSN 1999-7361). (DOI: http://doi.dx.org/10.3329/jesnr.v5i2.14571)
4) Alam, M. K., Hoque, M.M., Morshed, S., Shahriar, S. M. S. and Begum, A. 2012. A Study on Watermelon (Citrullus Lanatus) Juice Preserved with Chemical Preservatives at Refrigeration Temperature. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2):23-28. (ISSN 1999-7361). (DOI: http://doi.dx.org/10.3329/jesnr.v5i2.14597)
5) Hasan, M.T., Begum, A., Siddiqui, A.A. and Khaliduzzaman. March-April, 2012. Comparison on child caring and feeding practices between mothers working in a tobacco industry versus mothers of nearby community. Bangladesh Research Publication Journal, 6(4):434-439. (ISSN 19982003).(http://www.bdresearchpublications.com/journal/)
The following abstracts published in the Journal of Injury Prevention as conference papers in Safety 2012 World Conference, 1-4 Oct 2012, Wellington, New Zealand. www.injuryprevention.bmj.com
1) Socio- demographic characteristics & public health status of child domestics: myths & reality for a safe community in bangladesh.1*Anwar Kazi Selim, 2Mollah Abid Hossain,3 Monowar Syed Reaz,4Begum Ayesha,5Islam Khaleda 6Molla Azaher Ali, 7SenGupta Pradip Kumar, 8Gani Nurul,9Karim Syed Afzalul (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040590q.3)
2) Perception of school-bound children’s mothers on road-crossing and other road-safety issues in Dhaka city, bangladesh.1*Anwar Kazi Selim, 2Mollah Abid Hossain, 3Monowar Syed Reaz, 4Begum Ayesha, 5Molla Azaher Ali, 6SenGupta Pradip Kumar and 7Nahar Nazmun (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040580g.34)
3) Consequences of husband perpetuated violence against women on child health and psycho-social state.1*ANWAR Kazi Selim, 2Yasmin Ahad, 3Begum Ayesha, 4Mollah Abid Hossain, 5Gani Nurul, 6Monowar Syed Reaz, 7Islam Khaleda, 8Karim Syed Afzalul, 9sengupta Pradip Kumar, 10Molla Azaher Ali (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040590q.4)
1) Visited, worked and reported on the following food industries/factories during our B. Sc course work (Nutrition & Food Science) as a part of our academic curriculum: Nabisco biscuit Factory, Pran Food industry, Nestle Food Industry, Milk Vita Dairy, Danish Food Industry and Igloo Ice-cream Factory.
2) Hospital visit (one day) at Ad-din Hospital – Observation of PEM (Protein Energy Malnutrition) suffering children and treatment given to them.
3) Worked as a surveyor for evaluation of “Nutrition Profile of Adolescent Girls in BARD Program Area in Commilla” as a part of course curriculum in the village of Joypur in Comilla district.
4) Ccompleted my three months professional-internship at the ICDDR, B (particularly under Dr. Tahmeed Ahmed, Head of Nutrition), where we worked/ learned the followings (with Mrs. Nasiha Majid,chief dietitian,Clinical Science Division.)
Dietary management of PEM (Protein Energy Malnutrition)children.
Dietary management of Diarrhoel patients (Acute and persistent)
Dietary allocation (measuring, preparing and administrating standard liquid diet)
Training on breastfeeding practice.
Dietary management of diabetes, gout, heart &, kidney diseases, hypertension, etc.
5) Worked under a NGO (Bangladesh Nazarene Mission) as a Nutritionist (Part time) in Nutrition & Food Security Program funded by Canadian Food grains bank (CFGB and CIDA) from October 10, 2010 to March 24, 2012.
1) Three months professional internship at the ICDDR, B. (International Centre for Diarrheal Diseases Research, Bangladesh)
2) Training on Public Health conducted by JiVitA, a research project of John Hopkins University, USA and also training on Supportive Skill Supervision from LAMB, Parbotipur, Dinajpur.
3) Week long training on PRA (Participatory Reflection and Action) and CFGB proposal guideline and report writing (From Srilanka).
4) A two weeks long training on Qualitative Research Methodology from ICDDR, B., Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Scholarships and Awards
1) Obtained a merit scholarship in B. Sc. (Hon’s) from Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka.
2) Scholarship in Higher Secondary level (H.S.C) in 2003 (from Jessore Board).
3) Scholarship in Junior level in 1998 from Kushtia Govt. Girls High School.
4) Scholarship in Primary level in 1995 from Kushtia Mission School
IHN 101 (T): Introductory Human Nutrition (Theory)
NFP 202 (T+P): Nutritional Evaluation of Processed Food (Theory+ Practical)
CLN 301 (T+P): Clinical Nutrition (Theory + Practical)
APD 302 (T+P): Applied Dietetics( Theory + Practical)
CMN 501: Community Nutrition (Theory)
HGD 501: Human Growth and Development (Theory)
NPS 502: Nutritional Problem, Survey and Surveillance (Theory)
AND 502: Advanced Micronutrients (Theory)
Hafsa Yeasmin (Session:2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Khadaja Tul Kobra (Session: 2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Sharmin Akter (Session: 2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Ananya Barua (Session: 2016-17, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Hasina Akter (Session: 2016-17, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)