Ms. Ayesha Begum
Ayesha Begum received the B.Sc. and MS degrees in Nutrition and Food Science from Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka. She joined as a lecturer in the department of Applied Food Science and Nutrition, CVASU in 2012 and at present working as an Assistant Professor in the department of Applied Food Science and Nutrition under the faculty of Food Science and Technology in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from June 29, 2014 to till date.
Ayesha Begum is interested to do research in the area of Nutrition and Food Science and has already published few papers in reputed journals.
1) Begum, A., Sharmin, K. N., Hossain, M. A., Yeasmin, N. and Ahmed T. 2017. Nutritional status of adolescent girls in a rural area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial. Research, 52(3), 221-228.
2) Yeasmin, N., Ali, S., Hossain, S., Hossain, A., Sharmin, K N and Begum, A. 2017. Assessment of heavy metal concentration in poultry meat samples collected from Chittagong city. International Journal of Current Multidisciplinary Studies, 3(4), 710-714. (http://www.journalijcms.com).
3) Huq, A.K. , Haque, K.M. F., Begum, A., Akter, N., Akther, F.2017. Application of Probiotic Diet on Rats and its Effect on Lipid Profile: A Case-control Study. Research & Reviews: A Journal of Microbiology and Virology, 7(2): 7-11. (ISSN: 2230-9853 (Online), ISSN: 2349-4360 (Print).
4) Alam, M.K., Akther, S., Sarwar, N.and Begum, A. 2016. Isolation and Identification of Coagulase Positive Staphyllococcus Aureus in Dairy Products Marketed in Chittagong, Bangladesh and Analysis of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Profiles. Pakistan Journal of Food Sciences, 26(4):180-186. ( ISSN: 2226-5899)
5) Ali, S., Begum, A., Uddin, M.F. and Ahmed, S. 2016. Bio-preservative effect of bacteriocin in fruit juice preservation. Asian Australasian Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology,1(3): 435-440. (ISSN 2414-1283 (Print) 2414-6293 (Online) (http://www.ebupress.com/journal/aajbb).
6) Hossain, M., Sharmin, K.N, Begum, A., Sarwar, N and Yeasmin, N. 2016. Hemoglobin status of pregnant women in island rural area of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 4(1&2): 27-30. (ISSN 2227-6416). (http://www.cvasu.ac.bd/journal/userlist)
7) Begum, A., Zebsyn, S. and Bhuyan, M.A.H. December, 2011-2012. Advertisements in various television channels on food items & understandability of telecasted programs influencing nutritional status of urban graduate mothers. Bangladesh Journal of Nutrition, 24-25: 65-76. (ISSN 1013 -6037).
8) Morshed, S., Alam, M. K., Begum, A., Shahriar, S. M. S., Sharmin, K. N. and Akther, S. 2012. Physicochemical Properties and Chemical Constituents of Oil from Joan Seed (Trachyspermum ammi L). Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2):15-21. (ISSN 1999-7361). (DOI: http://doi.dx.org/10.3329/jesnr.v5i2.14571)
9) Alam, M. K., Hoque, M.M., Morshed, S., Shahriar, S. M. S. and Begum, A. 2012. A Study on Watermelon (Citrullus Lanatus) Juice Preserved with Chemical Preservatives at Refrigeration Temperature. Journal of Environmental Science and Natural Resources, 5(2):23-28. (ISSN 1999-7361). (DOI: http://doi.dx.org/10.3329/jesnr.v5i2.14597)
10) Hasan, M.T., Begum, , Siddiqui, A.A. and Khaliduzzaman. March-April, 2012. Comparison on child caring and feeding practices between mothers working in a tobacco industry versus mothers of nearby community. Bangladesh Research Publication Journal, 6(4):434-439. (ISSN 19982003). (http://www.bdresearchpublications.com/journal/).
11) Begum, A., Bhuyan, M.A.H. October, 2011. Food intake, disease pattern and associated factors of elderly population in Dhaka City. Bangladesh Journal of Geriatrics, 46: 84-93. (ISSN 1012-9197).
As a nutritionist I am interested to do research in the areas of community nutrition, food science and food composition. My research involves in psychosocial and behavioral issues related to lifestyle behavior change (diet and physical activity) and weight management, assessing nutritional status among community people as well addressing nutritional problems. Apart from this I would like to conduct research on food adulteration such as heavy metal determination in different food samples in our country which is becoming an emerging issue now days.
Alam, M.J., Akther, M.S., Begum, A., Matin, A and Ahmed, T. 2017. Physicochemical & microbiological properties of some portable water samples available in Chittagong area. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 5(1): 67-72. (ISSN 2227-6416). (http://www.cvasu.ac.bd/journal/userlist)
The following abstracts published in the Journal of Injury Prevention as conference papers in Safety 2012 World Conference, 1-4 Oct 2012, Wellington, New Zealand. www.injuryprevention.bmj.com.
1) Socio- demographic characteristics & public health status of child domestics: myths & reality for a safe community in bangladesh.1*Anwar Kazi Selim, 2Mollah Abid Hossain,3 Monowar Syed Reaz,4Begum Ayesha,5Islam Khaleda 6Molla Azaher Ali, 7SenGupta Pradip Kumar, 8Gani Nurul,9Karim Syed Afzalul (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040590q.3)
2) Perception of school-bound children’s mothers on road-crossing and other road-safety issues in Dhaka city, bangladesh.1*Anwar Kazi Selim, 2Mollah Abid Hossain, 3Monowar Syed Reaz, 4Begum Ayesha, 5Molla Azaher Ali, 6SenGupta Pradip Kumar and 7Nahar Nazmun (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040580g.34)
3) Consequences of husband perpetuated violence against women on child health and psycho-social state.1*ANWAR Kazi Selim, 2Yasmin Ahad, 3Begum Ayesha, 4Mollah Abid Hossain, 5Gani Nurul, 6Monowar Syed Reaz, 7Islam Khaleda, 8Karim Syed Afzalul, 9sengupta Pradip Kumar, 10Molla Azaher Ali (doi:10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040590q.4).
1) Conducting a research as Principle Investigator on food safety issue namely “Effects of Ripening agent on nutritional composition of Mango and Tomato funded by University Grants Commission, Bangladesh in 2017-2018. (Ongoing).
2) As a Project Coordinator in a Project “Effects of Ripening agent on nutritional composition and heavy metal contents of banana (MUSA spp)” funded by Ministry of Science and Technology, Bangladesh in 2016-2017. (Completed).
3) Worked as a Co- Investigator in a project “An investigation on microbiological and chemical hazards posed by salad dressing, fruits and street vended foods at Chittagong Metropolitan areas.” funded by University Grants Commission, Bangladesh in 2012-2013. (Completed).
4) Completed three months professional-internship from September, 2007 to December, 2007 at ICDDR, B (International Centre for Diarrheal Diseases Research, Bangladesh) where learned the followings about the dietary management of PEM (Protein Energy Malnutrition)children and dietary management of diarrhoel patients, diabetic, gout, heart, CVD and hypertension. Apart from this, I have gathered knowledge on dietary allocation for patients and received training on breastfeeding practice.
5) Worked as a surveyor for evaluation of “Nutritional Profile of Adolescent Girls in BARD Program Area in Comilla” as a part of course curriculum in B.Sc.(Hon’s)in the village of Joypur in Comilla district.
1) Visited, worked and reported on the following food industries/factories during our B. Sc course work (Nutrition & Food Science) as a part of our academic curriculum: Nabisco biscuit Factory, Pran Food industry, Nestle Food Industry, Milk Vita Dairy, Danish Food Industry and Igloo Ice-cream Factory.
2) Hospital visit (one day) at Ad-din Hospital – Observation of PEM (Protein Energy Malnutrition) suffering children and treatment given to them.
3) Worked as a surveyor for evaluation of “Nutrition Profile of Adolescent Girls in BARD Program Area in Commilla” as a part of course curriculum in the village of Joypur in Comilla district.
4) Ccompleted my three months professional-internship at the ICDDR, B (particularly under Dr. Tahmeed Ahmed, Head of Nutrition), where we worked/ learned the followings (with Mrs. Nasiha Majid,chief dietitian,Clinical Science Division.)
Dietary management of PEM (Protein Energy Malnutrition)children.
Dietary management of Diarrhoel patients (Acute and persistent)
Dietary allocation (measuring, preparing and administrating standard liquid diet)
Training on breastfeeding practice.
Dietary management of diabetes, gout, heart &, kidney diseases, hypertension, etc.
5) Worked under a NGO (Bangladesh Nazarene Mission) as a Nutritionist (Part time) in Nutrition & Food Security Program funded by Canadian Food grains bank (CFGB and CIDA) from October 10, 2010 to March 24, 2012.
1) Two-days training program on “Hygiene and Sanitation in food business” in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in 2-3 August, 2017 in Dhaka organized by The Bangladesh Food Safety Authority (BFSA) to establish proper food hygiene and sanitation system aligned with the requirement of international benchmark and to establishment of an effective food control system in the country.
2) Training workshop on Bio-safety and Bio-security in Bangladesh from 26 to 27 September, 2016 in Chittagong from ICDDR, B (International Centre for Diarrheal Diseases Research, Bangladesh).
3) Training on Public Health conducted by JiVitA, a research project of John Hopkins University, USA and also training on Supportive Skill Supervision from LAMB, Parbotipur, Dinajpur in 2011.
4) Week long training on PRA (Participatory Reflection and Action) and CFGB (Canadian Food Grains Bank) proposal guideline and report writing (From Srilanka) in 2011.
5) A two weeks long training on Qualitative Research Methodology from ICDDR, B., Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2011.
List of Conferences/ Workshop Attended
1) “Training and Workshop on Curriculum Development and Teaching Methodologies”4th November, 2017 organized by IQAC, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Chittagong, Bangladesh.
2) Bangladesh Food Safety Conference 2017under the theme of "Protecting Consumers: A Shared Responsibility" on 23-24th August, 2017 organized by Bangladesh Food Safety Authority.
3) 14th Annual Scientific Conference on “Achieving SDGs for Bangladesh Integrating livestock and fisheries resources to ensure food safety and security” held in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, from 1-2 April 2017.
4) 13th Annual Scientific Conference on “Promoting Food Safety, One Health and Blue Economy” held in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, from 2-3 April 2016.
5) Participated in the 12th Annual Scientific conference on 21-22 March, 2015 at Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Khulshi, Chittagong-4225.
6) Attended workshop on industrial placement for the students of Food Science and Technology (FST), in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University on March 2014.
Scholarships and Awards
1) Obtained a merit scholarship in B. Sc. (Hon’s) from Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka.
2) Scholarship in Higher Secondary level (H.S.C) in 2003 (from Jessore Board).
3) Scholarship in Junior level in 1998 from Kushtia Govt. Girls High School.
4) Scholarship in Primary level in 1995 from Kushtia Mission School
IHN 101 (T): Introductory Human Nutrition (Theory)
NFP 202 (T+P): Nutritional Evaluation of Processed Food (Theory+ Practical)
CLN 301 (T+P): Clinical Nutrition (Theory + Practical)
APD 302 (T+P): Applied Dietetics( Theory + Practical)
CMN 501: Community Nutrition (Theory)
HGD 501: Human Growth and Development (Theory)
NPS 502: Nutritional Problem, Survey and Surveillance (Theory)
AND 502: Advanced Micronutrients (Theory)
Hafsa Yeasmin (Session:2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Khadaja Tul Kobra (Session: 2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Sharmin Akter (Session: 2015-16, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Ananya Barua (Session: 2016-17, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)
Hasina Akter (Session: 2016-17, MS student of Dept. of Applied Human Nutrition and Dietetics, CVASU)