Dr. Abdul Ahad
Department of Microbiology & Veterinary Public Health,
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
Name of examination
|Year of passing||
Board / University
PhD in Microbiology
|2014||University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan|
MSc in Veterinary Science
The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Denmark
MS in Microbiology
Bangladesh Agricultural University
|DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine)||1993||
Bangladesh Agricultural University
|Professor in the department of Microbiology and Veterinary Public Health, Chittagong Veterinary & Animal Sciences University.||16/03/11 till to date|
|Associate Professor in the department of Microbiology, Chittagong Veterinary & Animal Sciences University.||23/12/03 to 15/03/11|
|Assistant Professor in the department of Microbiology, Sylhet Govt. Veterinary College.||16/01/03 to 22/12/03|
|Lecturer in the department of Anatomy & Histology, Sylhet Govt. Veterinary College.||02/09/96 to 15/01/ 03|
1) Raza A, A Ahmad, M Rabbani, A Mahmood, M Younus, Z Ali and A Ahad (2016). Optimization of quality control factors for indigenous Mycoplasma gallisepticum bacterin preparation and their impact on immunoprophylaxis in broilers. Pak Vet J, 36(2): 227-229.
2) Kar J, Ahad A, Nath SK, Islam Z, Sarker MS (2015). Haemato-biochemical aspects of Foot and Mouth disease in cattle in Chittagong, Bangladesh. J. Inf. Mol. Biol. 3(3): 62-65.
3) A. Mahmood, M.A. Khan , G. Nawaz, M. Younus, F.M. Khan, A. Ahad, M. Ikram and A. Hameed (2015). Active surveillance based ranking order and temporal distribution of parturient haemoglobinuria cases in buffalo population in district Chakwal, Pakistan. Pakistan Journal of Science 67(4): 324 -328.
4) M. Z. Islam, S. Ahmed , Md F. Hossain , A. Mahmood, A. Ahad, S. Chowdhury and J. P. Christensen (2015). Risk factors for Mycoplams gallisepticum seroprevalence in chickens. J. Anim. Plant Sci. 25(4): 1200-1205.
5) A Ahad, RN Thornton, M Rabbani, T Yaqub, M Younus, K Muhammad, A Mahmood, MZ Shabbir, MA Kashem, MZ Islam, P Mangtani, GW Burgess, HM Tun, MA Hoque (2014). Risk factors for H7 and H9 infection in commercial poultry farm workers in provinces within Pakistan. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 117 (3–4): 610-614.
6) Islam K, Ahad A, Mahmood A, Rahman MM, Islam MZ, Kabir MHB, Barua M, Chowdhury S, Nasir MK, Biswas PK (2104). Prevalence and Clinico-Pathological Features of Peste des Petits Ruminants in Different Breeds of Goats and their Response to Antimicrobial. J. Inf. Mol. Biol. 2(3):43-48.
7) Muhammad I, Hanif A, Ahmad MD, Najeeb I, Mahmood A, Aslam HB, Qasim M, Shahzad KA, Ahad A, (2014). Development and optimization of multiplex PCR for the detection of A, O and Asia-1 serotypes of FMDV in Pakistan. J. Inf. Mol. Biol. 2(1):11-15.
8) Islam MZ, Musekiwa A, Islam K, Ahmed S, Chowdhury S, Ahad A, Biswas PK (2014). Regional Variation in the Prevalence of E. coli O157 in Cattle: A Meta-Analysis and Meta-Regression. PLoS ONE 9(4): e93299.
9) Das GB, A Ahad, ME Hossain, MA Akbar, S Akhter and A Mahmood, (2014). Effect of different oil supplements on humoral response and lipid profile in commercial broiler. Pak Vet J, 34(2):229-233.
10) Islam MZ, Ahad A and Biswas PK (2013). Antimicrobial resistance profile of sorbitol non–fermenting Shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli isolated from smallholdings cattle. J. Inf. Mol. Biol. 1(4):58-63.
11) Altaf Mahmood, Muhammad Athar Khan, Mansur-ud-Din Ahmad, Muhammad Younus, Zafar Iqbal Chaudhry, Abdul Ahad, Hafiz Javed Iqbal, Muhammad Kamal Nasir and Muhammad Riaz (2013). Haematological, Biochemical and Therapeutic Aspects of Parturient Haemoglobinuria in Buffaloes. Pakistan J. Zool. 45(4): 889-895.
12) Subrata Kumar Shil, Abdul Ahad, Md. Anwar Parvez, Md. Abdullah Al Noman and Md. Abdul Qasem (2013). Absence of floating ribs with corresponding thoracic vertebrae of Black Bengal goat (Capra hircus). Indian Journal of Veterinary Anatomy 25(2):117-118.
13) Gupta MD, Das A, Ahad A, Biswas PK (2013). Antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of sorbitol non-fermenting including shiga toxin producing Escherichia coli isolated from Black Bengal goat. Bang. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 2:8-14.
14) A. Ahad, M. Rabbani, T. Yaqub, A. Mahmood, Z. H. Kuthu, M. Z. Shabbir, A. A. Sheikh and H. Gohar (2013). Detection of antibody to Newcastle Disease Virus in human sera in Pakistan. J. Anim. Plant Sci, 23(4): 990-994.
15) M. Sarwar, K. Muhammad, M. Rabbani, M. Younus, N. Sarwar, M. A. Ali and A. Ahad (2013). Prevalence of avian influenza viruses in live bird markets of Lahore. J. Anim. Plant Sci., 23(2):388-392.
16) A. Mahmood, M. A. Khan, M. Younus, M. A. Khan, A. Ahad, M. Ahmad, H. J. Iqbal, Z. Fatima and M. Anees (2013). Haematological and Biochemical Risk Factors of Parturient Haemoglobinuria in Buffaloes. J. Anim. Plant Sci, 23(2): 364-368.
17) Subrata Kumar Shil, Abdul Ahad, A. S. M. Golam Kibria, Amir Hossan Shaikat and Md. Abul Quasem, (2013). Macroanatomy of Bones of Large Frugivorous Bat (Pteropus giganteus). Indian Journal of Veterinary Anatomy 25 (1): 18-20.
18) Muhammad Zubair Shabbir, Siamak Zohari, Tahir Yaqub, Jawad Nazir, Muhammad Abu Shabbir, Nadia Mukhtar, Muhammad Shafee, Muhammad Sajid, Muhammad Anees, Muhammad Abbas, Muhammad Tanveer Khan, Asad Amanat Ali, Aamir Ghafoor, Abdul Ahad, Aijaz Ali Channa, Aftab Ahmad Anjum, Muhammad Nazir Kalhoro, Arfan Ahmad, Mohsan Ullah Goraya, Zahid Iqbal, Sohail Ahmad Khan, Hassan bin Aslam, Kiran Zehra, Muhammad Umer Sohail, Waseem Yaqub, Nisar Ahmad, Mikael Berg and Muhammad Munir, (2013). Genetic diversity of Newcastle disease virus in Pakistan: a countrywide perspective Virology Journal, 10:170.
19) Abdul Ahad, Masood Rabbani, Altaf Mahmood, Zulfiqar Hussan Kuthu, Arfan Ahmad and Muhammad Mahmudur Rahman, (2013). Zoonosis Update on H9N2 Avian Influenza Virus, Pak Vet J, 33(3):272-276.
20) Abdul Ahad, Masood Rabbani, Tahir Yaqub, Muhammad Younus, Altaf Mahmood, Muhammad Zubair Shabbir, Zahida Fatima, Rana Khurram Khalid and Majeeda Rasheed. (2013). Serosurveillance to H9 and H7 Avian Influenza Virus among Poultry Workers in Punjab Province, Pakistan. Pak Vet J, 33(1):107-112.
21) Muhammad Qasim, Imran Najeeb, Majeeda Rasheed, Khawar Ali Shahzad, Abdul Ahad, Zahida Fatima and Zubair Anwar (2012). Physico-chemical growth requirements and molecular characterization of indigenous Spirulina. African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 6(11), pp. 2788-2792.
22) Ammara Farooq, Masood Rabbani, Khushi Muhammad, Zunaira Akram, Abdul Ahad, Zahida Fatima, Tahira Kamal and Zubair Anwar (2012). Passive immunization in infectious bursal disease virus infected birds using chemically purified immune yolk immunoglobulins (IgY). African Journal of Microbiology Research. 6(12): 2993-2998.
23) Zahida Fatima, Muhammad Athar Khan, Mansur ud Din Ahmad, Abdul Ahad, Zubair Anwar, Muhammad Hassan Mushtaq and Altaf Mahmood (2012). Lurking threat of bird flu from migratory and non migratory birds in and around Islamabad Capital Territory, Pakistan. African Journal of Biotechnology. 11(54):11721-11723.
24) Altaf Mahmood, Muhammad Athar Khan, Muhammad Younus, Muhammad Arif Khan, Hafiz Javed Iqbal and Abdul Ahad (2012). Case-Control Study of Parturient Hemoglobinuria in Buffaloes. Pak Vet J, 32(3): 375-377.
25) Biswas, P.K., Barua, H, Uddin, G.M.N., Ahad, A., Debnath, N.C. (2009). Serosurvey of five viruses in chickens on smallholdings in Bangladesh. Prev. Vet. Med. 88, 67–71.
26) Paritosh K. Biswas, Jens P. Christensen, Syed S.U. Ahmed, Himel Barua, Ashutosh Das, Mohammed H. Rahman, Mohammad Giasuddin, Abu S.M.A. Hannan, Mohammad A. Habib, Abdul Ahad, Abu S.M.S. Rahman, Rayhan Faruque, and Nitish C. Debnath (2008). Avian Influenza Outbreaks in Chickens, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 14(12):1909-1912.
27) Mahmuda Sultana, Abdul Ahad, Paritosh Kumar Biswas, M Ashiqur Rahman and Himel Barua (2008): Black Quarter (BQ) Disease in Cattle and Diagnosis of BQ Septicaemia Based on Gross Lesions and Microscopic Examination. Bangladesh J Microbiol, 25(1): 13-16.
28) Biswas, P.K., Uddin, G.M.N., Barua, H., Roy, K., Biswas, D., Ahad, A., Debnath, N.C., (2007). Survivability and causes of loss of broody hen chicks on smallholder households in Bangladesh. Prev. Vet. Med. 83, 260–271.
29) Biswas, P.K., Uddin, G.M.N., Barua, H., Roy, K., Biswas, D., Ahad, A., Debnath, N.C. (2006). Causes of loss of Sonali chickens on smallholder households in Bangladesh. Prev. Vet. Med. 76, 185–195.
30) Zafar Ahmed Bhuiyan, Paritosh Kumar Biswas, M Nural Anwar, Abdul Ahad and Nitish Chandra Debnath (2006): Evaluation of the Efficacy of Baby Chick Ranikhet Disease Vaccine and Bangla Baby Chick Ranikhet Disease Vaccine in Fayoumi Chicks. Bangladesh J Microbiol, 23(2):125-129.
31) Biswas, P.K., Uddin, G.M.N., Barua, H., Roy, K., Biswas, D., Ahad, A., Debnath, N.C. (2006): Immune status of semi-scavenging Sonali chickens in Bangladesh against Newcastle Disease. Livestock Research for Rural Development 18(6).
32) S. Islam, A. Ahad, S. Chowdhury and SR Barua (2006). Study on pneumonia in Black Bengal goat in selected areas of Bangladesh. Bangl. J. Vet Med. 4(2):137-140.
33) Lucky, N.S., Islam, M. R., Ahad, A., Das, B.R., Rahman, M. M. Siddiqui, M.S.I. (2004). Hematological Parameters of Fayoumi, Assil and Local Chickens Reared in Sylhet Region of Bangladesh. Int. J Poult Sci. 3(2): 144-147.
34) Begum. A, A. Ahad., M. O. Kaisar M. M. Islam and M. K. Anam (2003): Effect of sowing dates and fertilizer treatments on the reproductive variability of French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). Pak J Biol Sci. 6(22): 1897-1901).
35) Begum. A, A. Ahad., M.O. Kaisar. M.M. Islam., and M.K. Anam (2003): Morphological and reproductive attributes in French bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) as influenced by sowing time and fertilizer treatments. Pak J Biol Sci. 6(22): 1902-0906.
36) Ahad, A., Rahman M. S., Rahman, M. M. Baek, B.K. and Lee, J. H. (20003): Experimental infection in guinea pig with foot and mouth disease virus. Korean J. Vet Serve 26(1): 73-80.
37) A. Ahad , Kh.N. Islam , M.M. Rahman , K.F. Parija and S. Begum (2002). Experimental Viremia in Guineapigs against Foot and Mouth Disease Virus. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 5: 1004-1005.
38) M.M. Rahman. M.A. Awal. A. S. M. Bari. S. Begum. A. Ahad and M.S. Islam (2002): Effects of Levamisole Hydrochloride on Hematological Parameters in Immunized Rabbits. Bang. Vet. J. 36(1-2): 19-21.
39) Islam, Kh. N, M.Z.I. Khan, M.N. Islam, A. Ahad and M.S. Mazumder (2001): Light microscopic structure of the ureters of Rhode Island Red (RIR) and White Leghorn chicken (WLH) during their postnatal stages of growth and development. Journal of Biological Sciences 1(4): 272-274.
40) Ahad, A., Rahman, M.M. and Rahman, M.S. (1998). "Production of Hyperimmune sera in guineapigs against foot and mouth disease virus type Asia-1 and O Progressive Agriculture, 9(1&2): 69-71,
1) Basics of Immunology (2011). Abdul Ahad, Muhammad Anees and Zahida Fatima. The book can be down loaded from the following website: http://www.amazon.com/Basics-Immunology-Concepts-Immune-Mechanism/dp/3846503517
Conference Proceedings and Presentation
1) H Uddin, MK Islam, A Ahad : Characterization of hemagglutination activity of Newcastle Disease Virus (2015): International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, 1st International Conference, Drug Discovery and Development Research in Developing Countries, Theme: Building R& D Capacity in S&T-lagging Countries for Discovery and Development of new Drugs from Regional Biota, Program and Abstracts, Venue: Bangladesh University of Health Sciences Dhaka, Bangladesh, 03-06 October 2015, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp72-73.
2) Abdul Ahad, Masood Rabbani, Tahir Yaqub, Altaf Mahmood: Serosurveillace to H9 and H7 Avian Influenza Virus among poultry workers in Punjab province Pakistan (2013): The 19th Conference of the Islamic World Academy of Sciences, Theme: Achieving Socio-Economic Development in the Islamic World through Science, Technology and Innovation. 5-9 May, 2013: Host Bangladesh.pp-111.
3) Abdul Ahad: Rabies in Bangladesh: Current Scenario (2005): International Symposium on Prevention & Control of Rabies, Theme: Global Rabies Scenario: Spotlight on the Indian Subcontinent, March 18-19, (2005), Bangalore, India, pp-33.
4) Ahad, A., JP Christensen, MR Islam (2004): Pathogenic characterization of a local Bangladeshi isolate of infectious Bursal Disease Virus. XXII World’s Poultry Congress, Istanbul, Turkey, June 8-13:795.
5) A Ahad, JP Christensen and MR Islam (2003): Investigations on infectious bursal disease outbreaks in a central poultry farm (urban) and six rural poultry units in B: Proceedings of the First Annual Scientific Conference, Chittagong Government Veterinary College, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 22-24 February 2003, page: 40-50.
Attended Training/ Workshop
1) Train-the-trainer course on Biosafety Biosecurity Principles and Practices, International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh. 09-18 April 2016.
2) One Health Epidemiology Fellowship Program, Regional Workshop: Evaluation of Disease Control Policy, 15-26 June 2015, Bhutan.
3) A practical workshop on the design and analysis of epidemiological surveys under Zels project (Ref. BB/L018993/1), UK held at Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh from 6-7 December, 2014.
4) 11th Annual Scientific Conference (ASConXI) Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU), Theme: “Emerging challenges in food, health and environment” 6th March, 2014, Venue CVASU conference room, Chittagong Bangladesh.
5) “Teaching-Learning, Curriculum & Quality Assurance for University Teachers” conducted by the Graduate Training Institute, Bangladesh Agricultural University from 16 to 21 August, 2014
6) Controlling laboratory bio-risk held on 4-5 January, 2012 in Quality Operation Laboratory, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan.
7) The awareness and field test for diagnosis of Rabies, held on December 20, 2011 in Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan,
8) Primer designing for microbial identification using PCR, held on November 10-11, 2009 in University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan,
9) Training on proper hand washing technique held on 23rd May, 2009 in the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan
10) Seventh Annual National Training course on Modern Techniques in Biotechnology, held on 22-27 March, 2009 in National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (NIBGE), Faisalabad, Pakistan.
11) Adult Teaching organized by Poultry Research and Training Centre, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) in collaboration with Copenhagen University during 26-28, October, 2008.
12) International conference on “Changing world and emerging challenges: A One World, One Health approach” held on 4-6 March, 2008 organized by Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University and One World One Health- Bangladesh Initiative.
13) ‘Development of South Asia-specific Integrated Veterinary Undergraduate Curriculum’, held on 27-28 February, 2008 organized by CVASU, DANIDA, RVC, DFID, and BRITISH COUNCIL.
Completed research Project
1) “Prevalence of BVDV antibodies among the commercial daily herds in Chittagong”- Financed by University Grants Commission, Ministry of Education, Bangladesh, worth: $ 1250, Year 2012- 2013.
Overseas Teaching Experience
1) Advanced Virology course was taught to Masters and PhD student at University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, in the year 2012. Pakistan.
2) Food microbiology
3) Zoonotic diseases
1) Post graduate courses are: Molecular Microbiology, Advanced General Virology, Advanced General Bacteriology, Advanced Systemic Virology, Advanced Immunology and Serology, Vaccinology and Industrial Microbiology,
2) Undergraduate’s courses are: General Microbiology, Virology, Immunology and Serology and Veterinary Public Health.
1) Bangladesh Krishibid Association (Life member, Professional body of Agriculturalist)
2) Bangladesh Veterinary Association
3) Bangladesh Society for Veterinary Education and Research