Dr. Bhajan Chandra Das
Dr. Bhajan Chandra Das received the DVM and MS in Surgery degrees in the Faculty of Veterinary Science from the Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, Bangladesh and the Ph.D. degree in veterinary surgery and radiology from Madras Veterinary College, Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Tamilnadu, Chennai, India.
He joined as an Veterinary Surgeon at Gopalgonj District in the District Veterinary Hospital in 2000 and then joined as a Lecturer in the Department of Medicine and Surgery, Sylhet Agricultural University, Sylhet, in 2001 and then joined as an Assistant Professor in the department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong (CVASU) in 2003 and served upto 2011 and joined as an Associated Professor in 2011 and served upto 2015. Currently he holds a position of Professor in the same department, CVASU. His research interests are in the areas of small and large animal surgery specially orthopaedic surgery and anaesthesiology. During his academic career, he successfully completed some research works. In addition to academic and research activities, since 2000 Dr. Das engaged in clinical practice of different species. He also engaged himself in professional activities like BVA, BSVER, ISVS, ISACP as a life members.
Dr. Das has a strong record of clinical research in his area that includes publications of a number of papers in the reputed journals such as journal of Veterinary Science, Indian Veterinary Journal, Pakistan Veterinary Journal, Intas Polivet, Indian Journal of Veterinary Surgery, The Bangladesh Veterinarian, Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Veterinary World. He received several international scholarships, fellowship and gold medal awards during his academic career. Dr. Das received an ICCR scholarship, India, in 2007 and 2014 received an international AOVET fellowship in USA as a single person in Bangladesh. He also received international Chi Institute Scholarship, China and WATCVM-Rosenburg Scholarship for veterinary acupuncture training.
1) S.Habib, B.C.Das, M.N.Islam, M.K.Rhaman and M.F. Ahmed. 2002. A comparison of Xylazine, Diazepam, Chlorpromazine and Promethazine in Relation to Certain Clinical and Hematological Parameters in Indigenous Sheep. Pakistan J. Biological Sciences.5 (4):484-488.
2) M.R. Islam, B.C.Das, M.K. Hossain, N.S.Lucky and M.G. Mostafa.2002. A study on the Occurrence of Poultry Diseases in Sylhet Region of Bangladesh. International J. Poultry Science, 2 (5): 354-356.
3) B.C. Das, B. Justin William, P. Sankar and R. Suresh Kumar.2008. Traumatized eye in indigenous buffalo. Tamilnadu J. Veterinary & Animal Sciences, 4(5):198-199. India.
4) Bibek Chandra Sutradhar, Mohammad Farhad Hossain, Bhajan Chandra Das, Gonhyung Kim, Mohammad Alamgir Hossain, 2009. Comparison between open and closed methods of herniorrhappy in calves affected with umbilical hernia. J. Vet. Sci., 10(4): 343-347.
5) Siddiki, A.Z., M.B. Uddin, M.B. Hasan, M.F. Hossain, M.M. Rahman, B.C. Das, M.S. Sarker and M.A. Hossain, 2010. Coproscopic and haematological approach to determine the prevalence of helminthiasis and protozoan diseases of Red Chittagong Cattle (RCC) in Bangladesh. Pakistan Vet. J., 30(1): 1-6.
6) R. Jayaprakash; B. C. Das, S.Sooryadas and R.Suresh Kumar, 2010. Colopexy with entroplication for recurrent rectal prolapse in a cat. Indian Veterinary Journal. Indian Vet. J., 87 (3): 279-280.
7) Arun Prasad, A., B. Justin William, H. Pushkin Raj, B.C. Das, R. Sivashankar and R. Suresh Kumar, 2009. Synthetic capsule technique for management of hip dislocation in a buffalo calf- a case report. Buffalo Bulletin, 28(4):212-213.
8) B.C. Das, A. Arun Prasad and R. Suresh Kumar, 2009. Surgical management of proximal tibial fracture in a spitz: a case report. Indian J. Field Veterinarian, 5(2):55-56.
9) A. Arun Prasad, B.C. Das, C. Niranjana and R. Suresh Kumar, 2009. Management of knuckling with sciatic toe bandage in a dog. Indian J. Field Veterinarian, 5(2):53-54.
10) Shiju Simon, M., R. Ganesh, S. Ayyappan, G. D. Roa, R. Suresh Kumar, V. R. Kundave and B.C. Das, 2010. Incidence of pelvic limb fractures in dogs: a survey of 478 cases. Veterinary World, 3 (3): 120-121.
11) Shiju Simon, M., R. Ganesh, S. Ayyappan, G.D. Roa, R. Suresh Kumar, M. Manonmani and B.C. Das, 2010. Incidence of canine hip dysplasia: a survey of 272 cases. Veterinary World, 3 (5): 219-220.
12) Mohd. Shafiuzama, M. Shiju Simon, B.C. Das, G.D. Roa, T.A. Kannan and R. Suresh Kumar, 2010. Mammary Fibroadenoma in a rat and its surgical management. Veterinary World, 3 (5): 235.
13) B.C. Das, A. Arun Prasad, Puskin Raj, B.Justin William and R. Suresh Kumar, 2010. Successful management of polyarthritis with lincomycin in a calf-a case report. Indian J. Field Veterinarian, 5: 49-50.
14) B.C. Das, A. Arun Prasad and R. Suresh Kumar, 2010. Management of overriding femur fractures in a cat: a case report. Indian J. Field Veterinarian, 5: 45-46.
15) A. Arun Prasad, B.C.Das, S. Ayyappan, Shafiuzama, Shiju Simon and R. Suresh Kumar, 2011. Intramedullary pinning (IMP) in cats. indian Vet. J., January, 88:79-80.
16) A. Arun Prasad, B.C.Das, S. Ayyappan, R. Ganesh, Shiju Simon and R. Suresh Kumar, 2011. Incidence of pelvic and spinal fractures/luxations in feline . indian Vet. J.,February, 88: 61-62.
17) S. Ayyappan, Mohd. Shafiuzama, T. N. Ganesh, B.C.Das and R. Suresh Kumar, 2009. A clinical study of external fixators for long bone fracture management in dogs. Indian J. Vet. Surg., 30 (2): 90-92.
18) B.C.Das, A. Arun Prasad, S. Ayyappan,Capt. G. Dhananjaya Rao, Shiju Simon, R. Ganesh, and R. Suresh Kumar, 2010. A retrospective study on occurrence of long bone fractures in cats. indian J. Vet. Surg., 31(1):43-44.
19) A. Arun Prasad, S. Ayyappan, B.C.Das, Mohd. Shafiuzama, S. Priya and R. Suresh Kumar, 2010. Surgical management of long bone fractures in cats: a review of 12 cases. indian J. Vet. Surg., 31(1):45-46.
20) D. Biswas, S. Das, B.C. Das and A.K. M. Saifuddin, 2012. Pyometra in a German Shepherd Dog: A clinical case report. Asian Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 7(5): 446-451.
21) Suchandan Sikder, AM Ekhlasur Rahman, Umme Kulsum Rima, Md. Abdul Alim, Subhagata Das, Bhajan Chandra Das, Md Rayhan Faruque, 2012. Equine Diseases: a retrospective prevalence study in farm condition in Bangladesh. Wayamba Journal of Animal Science. Feb, 12.
22) B. C. Das, S.Thilagar, S. Ayyappan, B. Justin William, Mohd. Shafiuzama and A. Arun Prasad, 2012. SURGICAL MANAGEMENT OF UNSTABLE DIAPHYSEAL TIBIAL FRACTURE WITH CONVENTIONAL DYNAMIC COMPRESSION PLATING (DCP) IN DOGS. International Research Journal Applied of Life Sciences (IRJALS), 2: 36-48.
23) B. C. Das, R. Jayaprakash and Kumar R. Suresh, 2012. Urethral Prolapse and its surgical management in a dog. Intas Polivet, 13 ( 1) : 125-126.
24) Bhajan Chandra Das, Dibyendu Biswas, Mohammed Forhad Hossain, Shubhagata Das, Amam Zonaed Siddiki, Abdul Mannan, 2013. A postmortem experience of Indian rock python (Python molurus molurus) that swallowed a whole barking deer. Vetworld, 163-165
25) Bovine Brucellosis: An Epidemiological Study at Chittagong, Bangladesh. Suchandan Sikder, AKM Anisur Rahman1, Mohammad Rayhan Faruque, Mohammad Abdul Alim, Shubhagata Das, Aungshuman Das Gupta, Bhajan Chandra Das, Mohammad Inkeyas Uddin and Mohammad Abdul Matin Prodhan, 2012. Pakistan Veterinary Journal,32(4):499-502.
26) Shafiqul Islam, Shubhagata Das, Shahnaj Pervin, Mohammed Ashif Imtiaz, Bibek Chandra Sutradhar, Md. Masuduzzaman and Bhajan Chandra Das, 2014. Subcutaneous infiltrative lipoma in a male spitz dog. Wayamba Journal of Animal Science. 893-897.
27) Abu Raihan, Md. Ismail Hossain Ansari, Md. Mostafizer Rahman, Md. Zohorul Islam, Bhajan Chandra Das, Ahasan Habib, S.M. Shariful Hoque Belal, Kamrul Islam, 2014. Prevalence and Antimicrobial Resistance Profile of Escherichia Coli and Salmonella Isolated from Diarrheic Calves. Journal of Animal Health and Production 2 (1): 12 – 15.
28) Mahabub Alam, Bhajan Chandra Das, Mohammad Mahmudul Hassan, Md. Ahaduzzaman, Md. Shohel Al Faruk and Md. Hasanuzzaman,2014. Ruminal acidosis- A case compilation study in SAQ Teaching Veterinary Hospital, Bangladesh. Veterinary World 7(1): 38-43.
29) Md. Anowar Parvez, Md. Shafiqul Islam, Bhajan Chandra Das, Rokeya Khatun, Md. Abdullah al Noman, 2015. Concomitant Intravenous Therapy of Ceftriaxone and Calcium in Recumbent Dairy Cow Immediate after Delivery: Ante Mortem and Post Mortem Inspection. Research Journal for Veterinary Practitioners, 3(1): 15-18.
30) Subrata Kumar Shil1, Salima Ferdows, Bibek Chandra Sutradhar, Bhajan Chandra Das (2014). Topographic Anatomy of Visceral Organs of a Spotted Deer (Axis axis). Research Journal for Veterinary Practitioners 2 (4): 55 – 57.
1) B.C.Das, M.A. Hossain and M.R. Alam.2000. Assessment of certain drugs of euthanasia in indigenous dogs. The Bangladesh Veterinarian,17(2): 95-99.
2) B.C. Das, Azizunnesa, B.C. Sutradhar and M.O. Faruk 2008. Oesophageal impaction in an indigenous goose. Bangladesh J. Vet. Med., 6(2): 231-232.
3) Azizunnesa, B.C. Das, B.C. Sutradhar , M.O. Faruk and M.F. Hossain 2008. Management of simple obstructive colic in an Arabian horse. Bangladesh J. Vet. Med., 6(2):227-228.
4) Azizunnesa, B.C. Sutradhar, B.C. Das, M.F. Hossain and M.O. Faruk. 2010. A case study on mummified foetus in a heifer.Uni. J. Zool.Rajshahi. Univ., 28: 61-63.
5) B.C. Das, B.K. Nath, M.S. Pallab, A. Mannan and D. Biswas, 2012. Successful management of ventral abdominal hernia in goat: a case report. International Journal of Natural Sciences, 2(2):60-62.
6) Azizunnnesa, Das, A., Faruk,M.O., Das. B.C.,Chakraborty,P., Uddin M.M. and Chowdhury, s., 2012. Effects of Intrauterine infusion of Antibiotics and Quality of Mucous on Non Return Rate in Repeat Breeding Dairy Cows. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences,1(1): 1-10.
7) Das BC, Das S, Nath BK, Parvez MA, Hossain S, 2014. Post mortem examination of Barn owl in Bangladesh- a first case report. International Jouranl of Natural Scieces, 4(2): 34-37.
8) Das BC, Nath BK, Pallab MS and Biswas D, 2015. Successful surgical management of periorbital abscess in rabbit- a clinical case report. Bangladesh Livestock Journal, 1: 42-43.
9) Nath BK, Das BC, Bari MS and Rahman MA, 2014. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Repeat Breeding in Commercial Dairy Farms of Chittagong District of Bangladesh. International Journal of Natural Sciences (2014), 4(1): 21-27.
10) S. K. Shil, B. C. Das, M. Uddin, M.L. Rahman and M.A. Quasem, 2012. Anatomy of digestive and respiratory system of Indian grey mongoose (Herpestes edwardsii). Univ. J. Zool. Rajshahi Univ., 31:83-84.
11) Bhajan Chandra Das, Ahaduzzaman, Sazeda Akter, Farhad Hossain, Md. Rayhan Faruque, Bibek Chandra Sutradhar, 2015. Management of Traumatic Wound in a Malnutrited Orphan Asian Elephant calf (Elephas maximus). International Journal of Natural Sciences, 5(1): 21- 25.
1) Hormone used for beef fattening and its effect in human body- Dr. Bhajan Chandra Das. Adunik Krishi Khamar, Quarterly Agricultural Magazine, 2011, July, (3): 32-33.
2) Umbilical hernia and its management in calves- Dr. Bhajan Chandra Das. Adunik Krishi Khamar, Quarterly Agricultural Magazine, 2014, July-September: 27-28.
My research experiences and interests cover the challenging issues of reconstructive surgery of different species in severe accidental cases, correction of different congenital problem, orthopaedic problems of different cases and anaesthesia of different zoo and wild life animals. I am particularly interested in minimal invasive surgery especially in orthopaedic cases, replacement surgery, bone grafting.
1) 1 year 2 months 11 days working experience as a ‘Veterinary Surgeon’ in District Veterinary Hospital, Gopalgonj, under the Project entitled of “Establishment of District Level Veterinary Hospital. Employer by Government of Bangladesh. ( From May 7, 2000 to July 18, 2001)
2) 1 year 9 months 21 days working experience as a ‘Lecturer’ in Sylhet Government Veterinary College, Tilagor, Sylhet under the project entitled of “Establishment of Sylhet and Chittagong Government Veterinary college.” Employer by Government of Bangladesh. (From July 19, 2001 to May 10, 2003)
3) 7 years 10 months 5 days working experience as an Assistant Professor in the department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Pahartali, Khulshi, Chittagong. (From May 11, 2003 to 14th March, 2011)
4) 4 years 1month 15 days working experience as an Associate Professor, in the department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Pahartali, Khulshi, Chittagong. (From March 15, 2011 to 30th April, 2015 )
1) Participated in ‘Certificate Course in Office Automation and Training Management’ duration 12th January2007- 22nd February2007, New Delhi, India.
2) Participated in ‘Advances in Small Animal Orthopaedics and Arthroscopy, duration 5th February 2008 to 14th February2008, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, India.
3) Participated in ‘Information Retrieval System’ duration 27th November 2007- 29th November 2007, sponsored by Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India, Chennai, India.
4) Participated in ‘TOT on Advancement of Elephant Healthcare and Management Practices’ duration 1st April, 2011 – 11th April, 2011, College of Veterinary Science, AAU, Khanapara, Gwahati, Assam, India.
5) Participated in ‘AOVET- AO Principles of Small Animal Fracture Management” duration August 17-19, 2012, Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, India.
6) Participated in “Small Animal Acupuncture 2015 Goungzhou Class, duration May,20- May 25/2015, China, organized by Chi Institute of Chinese Medicine.
7) Participated in “Small Animal Acupuncture Indonesia Session 4, duration online October 1 –October,31/2015 and onsite December 14-16, 2015 organized by Chi Institute of Chinese Medicine.
8) Participated in “Small Animal Acupuncture Indonesia Session 5, duration online November 1, 2015 –February 17, 2016 and onsite February 15- 17, 2016 organized by Chi Institute of Chinese Medicine.
International Seminar, Conference and Symposium
1) Participated in ‘SAARC Congress on Canine Practice and 5th Convention’ duration 7th February2008 to 9th February2008, Chennai, India.
2) Participated in XXXII Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and National Symposium, duration 6-8th November, 2008.Namakkal, Tamil Nadu, India.
3) Participated in International Summit on “Advancing veterinary medical care: challenges and strategies” & 27th Indian Society for Veterinary Medicine Convention Satellite Seminars on Veterinary Internal Medicine, duration 19th -21st February 2009, Chennai, India.
4) National workshop on “opportunities in poultry production biotechnology”. 18-19th September, 2009. Madras Veterinary College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
5) Participated in XXXIII Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and International Symposium, duration 11-13th November, 2009, Ludhiana, Punjub, India.
6) Participated in International conference on “Wildlife Conservation, Health and Disease Management- A Post Millennium Approach” 3rd -5th February, 2010, Chennai, India.
7) Participated in “Clinical Ophthalmology and Nephrology Workshop” at 7/2/10 in Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
8) Participated in “Oral Hygiene and Dental Surgery in Pet Animals Worksohp” at 7/3/10 in Madras Veterinary College, Chennai.
9) Participated in “International Marine Biodiversity Conservation Festival, 2010” at 2/5/2010, Chennai.
10) Participated in XXXIV Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and International Symposium on “Newer concepts in the surgical techniques for farm and companion animal practice”, duration 8-10th December, 2010, Pondicherry, India.
11) Participated in XXXIX Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and National Symposium on “Recent Innovations in Diagnosis and Treatment of Surgical Disorders in Ruminants and Equines with Particular Applicability in Hilly Terrain”, duration 1-3 September, 2015, Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, Kashmir, India.
Ms in Surgery
“Assessment of certain drugs for euthanasia in dogs”
Ph. D. in Veterinary Surgery and Radiology
“Tibial fracture Management with Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis (MIPO) in dogs”
1) Headship in the department of Medicine and Surgery, CVASU, 11th June, 2011 to 25/5/2013.
2) Organized 2 days (5/4/13 & 7/4/13) 1st International Orthpaedics Training in Bangladesh.
3) Director SAQ Teaching Veterinary Hospital, CVASU, 26th May, 2013 to 26th May, 2015.
4) Provost, Boy’s Hostel, CVASU, 27th May, 2015 to till date
Membership of Professional Societies
1) Life member, Bangladesh Veterinary Association
2) Registered member, Bangladesh Veterinary Council
3) Life member- Indian Society for Advancement of Canine Practice. Registration no: B-27/758/2008
4) General member, Bangladesh Krisibid Institution.
5) Life member: Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery (ISVS)-Registration no: ISVS-1455
6) Life member-Bangladesh Society for Veterinary Education and Research (BSVER), 19.02.2012
7) AOVET active member (International). 26th June, 2014. Member no. 40058
Ongoing Research Project
1) “Investigation of Calf Diseases and Development of Mitigation Measures” Principal Investigator (PI), Funded by Krishi Gobesana Foundation (KGF), Farm Gate, Dhaka, June, 2011 to May, 2014.
2) “Enhancement of Work-Based Learning Facilities Through Networking of Teaching Veterinary Hospital (TVH) and Satellite Veterinary Clinics” Member, Funded by HEQEP, April,2012- March, 2014.
3) Study on incidence and evaluation of long bone fracture management in small ruminant- Project Director, Funded by UGC, July,2013- June,2014.
4) Development of a routine service oriented planned dairy health and production management program in commercial dairy farm in Chittagong Metropolitan Areas (CMA), Principal Investigator (PI), 1.5 lakh taka, 2012-2013.
Award Gold Medal
1) Avian surgery session- Decombing an indigenous cock: A case report. XXXIII Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and International Symposium, 2009.
2) Orthopaedic surgery session- Management of complex long bone fractures in dogs: a report of 46 cases. XXXIII Annual Congress of Indian Society for Veterinary Surgery and International Symposium, 2009.
GSR-401: General Surgery, Lameness, Soundness and Radiology
AOS-401: Anaesthesiology and Operative Surgery
CLS-402: Clinical Surgery
LAA- 601: Large Animal Anaesthesiology
ORS- 601: Orthopedic Surgery
ACS- 601: Advanced Clinical Surgery-I
SAA- 602: Small Animal Anaesthesiology
OPS 602: Ophthalmic Surgery
ACS- 602: Advanced Clinical Surgery-II
Since 2003 every year supervised 2-3 students for internship clinical report
Supervisor -1 student