Postdoctoral Reasearch Associate, Sep 2015 – August 2016
Texas Tech University, Department of Chemical Engineering, Lubbock, TX, USA
Project title: Development of universal influenza vaccine
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): 2011-2014, in Veterinary Science, the degree has been awarded on August 25, 2014 from Chungnam National University, South Korea
PhD Thesis title: Mucosal Immunization of Universal Influenza Vaccine Candidates Induce the Broad Protection against Divergent Virus Infection
Master of Science (MS): 2009-2011, Veterinary Medicine (Major- Preventive Veterinary Medicine), Chungnam National University, South Korea
MSc Thesis title: The Highly Conserved HA2 Protein of Influenza A Virus Induces Cross Protective Immune Response
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM): 1996-2003, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh
From the very beginning of my professional life I have been involved in research on infectious diseases of animals, like New castle Disease (NDV), Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD), Peste-Des-Petites Ruminant (PPR) and so on. During my MSc, PhD and postdoctoral research I have focused on influenza virus vaccine development, and investigations of antiviral reagents against different viruses. In particular, my research interest goes to the development of mucosal vaccine strategy, study on the adjuvant for mucosal vaccine and development of antiviral drug (molecules) against economic important viral diseases of Bangladesh and elsewhere. Overall, my research experiences and interests cover the challenging issues on infectious as well as zoonotic diseases and development of strategy to combat them. I have also interest on the investigation of diseases in its molecular level.
1) Mohammed Y.E. Chowdhury,Tae-Hwan Kim, Md Bashir Uddin, Jae-Hoon Kim, C.Y. Hewawaduge, Zannatul Ferdowshi, Moon-Hee Sung, Chul-Joong Kim, Jong-SooLee: Mucosal vaccination of conserved sM2, HA2 and cholera toxin subunit A1 (CTA1) fusion protein with poly gamma-glutamate/chitosan nanoparticles (PC NPs) induces protection against divergent influenza subtypes. Veterinary Microbiology 2017.
3) Akter S, Ferdowshi Z, Prodhan MAM, Chowdhury MYE: Determination of Salmonella in egg shell and egg content in some selected areas of Bangladesh. Int J Nat Sci, December 2015.
4) Hyun Jong Noh, Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Seonghun Cho, Jae-Hoon Kim, Hye Sun Park, Chul-Joong Kim, Haryoung Poo, Moon-Hee Sung, Jong-Soo Lee, Yong Taik Lim: Programming of Influenza Vaccine Broadness and Persistence by Mucoadhesive Polymer-Based Adjuvant Systems. The Journal of Immunology 08/2015; 195(5):2472-82. DOI:10.4049/j.immunol.1500492
5) Rui Li, Mohammed Y.E. Chowdhury, Jae-Hoon Kim, Tae-Hwan Kim, Prabuddha Pathinayake, Wan-Seo Koo, Min-Eun Park, Ji-Eun Yoon, Jong-Bok Roh, Seung-Pyo Hong, Moon-Hee Sung, and Jong-Soo Lee, Chul-Joong Kim: Mucosally administered Lactobacillus surface-displayed influenza antigens (sM2 and HA2) with cholera toxin subunit A1 (CTA1) Induce broadly protective immune responses against divergent influenza subtypes. Veterinary Microbiology 07/2015; 179(3-4). DOI:10.1016/j.vetmic.2015.07.020.
6) Melbourne R. Talactac, Mohammed Y. E. Chowdhury, Min-Eun Park, Prasanna Weeratunga, Tae-Hwan Kim, Won-Kyung Cho, Chul-Joong Kim, Jin Yeul Ma, Jong-Soo Lee: Antiviral Effects of Novel Herbal Medicine KIOM-C, on Diverse Viruses. PLoS ONE 05/2015; 10(5):e0125357. DOI: 10.1371/ journal.pone. 0125357.
7) Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Rui Li, Jae-Hoon Kim, Min-Eun Park, Tae-Hwan Kim, Prabuddha Pathinayake, Prasanna Weeratunga, Man Ki Song, Hwa-Young Son, Seung-Pyo Hong, Moon-Hee Sung, Jong-Soo Lee, Chul-Joong Kim: Mucosal Vaccination with Recombinant Lactobacillus casei-Displayed CTA1-Conjugated Consensus Matrix Protein-2 (sM2) Induces Broad Protection against Divergent Influenza Subtypes in BALB/c Mice. PLoS ONE 04/2014; 9(4):e94051. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0094051.
8) Mohammed Ye Chowdhury, Soo-Kyung Seo, Ho-Jin Moon, Melbourne R Talactac, Jae-Hoon Kim, Min-Eun Park, Hwa-Young Son, Jong-Soo Lee, Chul-Joong Kim: Heterosubtypic protective immunity against widely divergent influenza subtypes induced by fusion protein 4sM2 in BALB/c mice. Virology Journal 02/2014; 11(1):21. DOI: 10.1186/1743-422X-11-21.
9) Melbourne Talactac, Jong-Soo Lee, Hojin Moon, Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Chul Joong Kim: The Antiviral Effect of High-Molecular Weight Poly-Gamma-Glutamate against Newcastle Disease Virus on Murine Macrophage Cells. Advances in Virology 12/2014; 2014:301386. DOI:10.1155/2014/301386.
10) Jong-Soo Lee, Mohammed Y.E. Chowdhury, Ho-Jin Moon, Young-Ki Choi, Melbourne R Talactac, Jae-Hoon Kim, Min-Eun Park, Hwa-Young Son, Kwang-Soon Shin, Chul-Joong Kim: The Highly Conserved HA2 Protein of the Influenza A Virus Induces a Cross Protective Immune Response. Journal of virological methods 09/2013; 194(1-2). DOI:10.1016/j.jviromet.2013.08.022.
11) Hojin Moon, Mohammed Y. E. Chowdhury, Chul-Joong Kim, Kwang-Soon Shin: Immunogenicity of a Canine Parvovirus 2 Capsid Antigen (VP2-S1) surface-expressed on Lactobacillus casei. J Biomed Res 2013;14(2):91-98, DOI:10.12729/jbr. 2013.14.2.91.
12) Eun-Ha Kim, Jun-Han Lee, Philippe Noriel Q Pascua, Min-Suk Song, Yun-Hee Baek, Hyeok-Il Kwon, Su-Jin Park, Gyo-Jin Lim, Arun Decano, Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Su-Kyung Seo, Man Ki Song, Chul-Joong Kim, Young-Ki Choi: Prokaryote-expressed M2e protein improves H9N2 influenza vaccine efficacy and protection against lethal influenza A virus in mice. Virology Journal 04/2013; 10(1):104. DOI: 10.1186/1743-422X-10-104.
13) Ho-Jin Moon, Jong-Soo Lee, Melbourne R Talactac, Mohammed YE Chowdhury, Jae-Hoon Kim, Min-Eun Park, Young-Ki Choi, Moon-Hee Sung, Chul-Joong Kim: Mucosal immunization with recombinant influenza hemagglutinin protein and poly gamma-glutamate/chitosan nanoparticles induces protection against highly pathogenic influenza A virus. Veterinary Microbiology 06/2012; 160(3-4). DOI:10.1016/j.vetmic.2012.05.035.
14) Ho-Jin Moon, Jong-Soo Lee, Young-Ki Choi, Jie-Yeun Park, Melbourne R Talactac, Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Haryoung Poo, Moon-Hee Sung, Ji-Hoon Lee, Jae U Jung, Chul-Joong Kim: Induction of type I interferon by high-molecular poly-γ-glutamate protects B6.A2G-Mx1 mice against influenza A virus. Antiviral research 02/2012; 94(1):98-102. DOI:10.1016/j.antiviral. 2012.02.010.
15) Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, M. R. Faruque, S.S. U. Ahmed, Azizunnesa, and, S. Chowdhury: Occurrence of Diseases and Disorders of Goat recorded at Veterinary Teaching Hospital of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. J. Ani & Fis. Sci. 1(5): 90-93, December 2008.
16) R. Faruque, S.U. Bhuiyan, S.S.U. Ahmed and Mohammed Y E Chowdhury: Prevalence of Skin Diseases of Rabbit. Int. J. Ani & Fis. Sci. 1(5): 119-121, December 2008.
17) B.M Saifuzzaman, M.M. Uddin, O.F. Miazi, Mohammed YE Chowdhury and S.S.U. Ahmed: Cross sectional Study of Prevalence of Helminth Parasitic Infestation of Cattle. Int. J. Ani & Fis. Sci. 1(2):49-52, June 2008.
18) I. Rume, M. R. Karim, Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, M. A. Halim and S. Sultana: Survey on the potential risk factors of retained placenta and the efficacy of treatment in relation to postpartum fertility of dairy cows. J. Subtrop. Agric. Res. Dev. 5(4): 327-331. August 2007.
19) Rayhan Faruque, Sued Sayeem Uddin Ahmed, Y E Chowdhury and MS Mahmud:Prevalence of infectious Bursal Disease in Layers and Broilers at bandar Upazila under Narayanhonj district. Bangladesh. J Microbiol, Volume 21, Number 1, June 2004.
20) H. Rashid, M. Atikuzzaman, M. A. Rahman, M. A. Hoque and Mohammed Y E Chowdhury: Measuring the frequency of Gumboro disease in poultry based on sample submission and diagnostic protocol used in Central Disease Investigation Laboratory (CDIL), Dhaka, Bangladesh. PJBS 6(11): 959-962. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences.2003.
Articles Published or Accepted in Proceeding of Conferences
1) Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Lee JS, Seo SK, Kim JH, Park ME, Kim TH, Pathinayake P, Weeratunga P, Li R and Kim CJ. Heterosubtypic protective immunity against widely divergent influenza subtypes induced by fusion protein 4sM2 in BALB/c mice. Proceedings of the KMB’s 40th anniversary, 2013 international symposium & annual meeting, organized by the Korean society for microbiology and biotechnology, 3-5 July 2013, Pyeongchang, South Korea.
2) Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Lee JS, Moon HJ, Talactac MR, Kim JH, Park ME and Kim CJ. Cross protective immune response induced by highly conserved HA2 protein of the influenza A virus.Proceedings of the 2012 international symposium & annual meeting, organized by the Korean society for microbiology and biotechnology, 27-29 June 2012, Busan, South Korea.
3) Mohammed Y E Chowdhury, Choi YK, Moon HJ, Lee JS and KimCross protective Immunity of influenza A virus consensus 1XM2e and four linking of M2e extracellular domain (4XM2e).The 5th Vaccine and ISV Annual Global Congress, 2-4 October 2011, Seattle, USA.
1) The sixth annual scientific conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 13 -14 march,2008
2) The fifth annual scientific conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 13 -14 march,2007
3) International influenza scientific symposium, organized by Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology & International Vaccine Institute, Seoul, South Korea, 29 January 2010
4) The 31st annual meeting of American Society for Virology, University of Wisconsin Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 21-25 July, 2012
1) Associate professor: January 2013-till to date, Department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh
2) Assistant professor: December 2007-December 2012, Department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh
3) Lecturer: July 2003-December 2007, Department of Medicine and Surgery, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh
Korean Government Scholarship Program (KGSP) for two years Master of Science degree and one year Korean language program (August 2008-August 2011)
In Vitro Molecular Techniques
Gene cloning, prokaryotic expression (E. coli and Lactobacillus) of cloned gene, SDS-PAGE and Western Blot analysis, purification of E. coli expressed protein by chromatography, dialysis and concentration of purified protein, enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), enzyme-linked immunosorbent spot (ELISPOT) assay, lymphocyte proliferation assay (MTT assay), tissue culture infectious dose (TCID), plaque assay, neutralizing assay, Lactobacillus surface expression of gene, fraction analysis of surface expressed protein, cytokine ELISA, mRNA extraction, PCR, real time PCR (RT PCR), Bradford assay for protein measurement, eukaryotic cell culture (RAW cell, MDCK etc), extraction of bone marrow derived dendritic cell (BMDC) or macrophage, extraction of red blood cell (RBC), virus propagation through cell line and embryonated eggs, hemagglutination assay (HA), hemagglutination inhibition assay (HI), DNA extraction, antibody resistance test, fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) analysis andimmunofluorescence assay
In Vivo Experimental Techniques
Vaccine study on laboratory animals (mice, ferret, rabbit and chicken) through intramuscular, intranasal and subcutaneous inoculating routes, Collection of samples (blood, lungs, intestine, spleen) from laboratory animals, Virus challenges to the laboratory animals through intranasal and intravenous routes. Production of antibodies in mouse, rabbit and chicken. Conducted laboratory animal experiment in BSL2+ and BSL3+ laboratories.
|Level of teaching||Name of the subject||Semester of teaching|
|Undergraduate level (DVM)||General Veterinary Medicine||Third year second semester|
|Fundamental of Clinical Medicine||Fourth year first semester|
|Large Animal Medicine
Small and Avian Medicine
Preventive Veterinary Medicine
|Fourth year second semester|
|Clinical Report (inter student)||Fifth year|
|Graduation level (MS)||Food Animal Medicine-I
Production Diseases of dairy
|Food Animal Medicine-II