Dr. Mrs. Jannatara Khatun
Department of Animal Science & Nutrition,
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University
Phone: 031-659093 Ext. 388
Fax: +88 031 659620
Dr. Jannatara Khatun is a Professor at the Department of Animal Science and Nutrition, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, kulshi, Chittagong. She was born in Khulna, Bangladesh on 10 February 1972. She got married Prof Dr. Kabirul Islam Khan and she has only one daughter JakiaSadiaKhanum. She holds a PhD in Animal Nutrition from University Putra Malaysia. She has completed her secondary and higher secondary school education from Kumira Girl’s High School and Shatkhira Government College, Bangladesh, respectively. She pursued her graduation in Bachelor of Science (B Sc) in Animal Husbandry (Hons) in 1996 with First Class (1st Position) and Master of Science (MS) in Animal Nutrition in 1998 with First Class from Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh.She has completed Postgraduate Diploma and Postgraduate training from New Zealand and Denmark respectively.
Her professional career started as a scientific officer at Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute in 1998where her main work was to conduct research on Poultry Nutrition and Management. Later on as a Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS) officer, she joined as a lecturer for 1 year at Officers Training Institute, Savar Dhaka, Bangladesh. Then she moved to Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University as an Assistant Professor where she served as Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor till today. She also served as the Head of the Animal science and Nutrition at Chittagong Government Veterinary College from January 2001 to October 2003 and Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University (CVASU) from February 2008 to February 2012. She also act as Head Dept. of food Biochemistry, Faculty of food Science and Technology from July 2012 to August 2013 and Provost, BangamataFazilatunnesa Hall, from July 2018 to January 2019,CVASU.Dr. Khatunhas been serving as the Dean of the Faculty of Food Science and Technology, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University since January 2019 to date.
She has received multiple awards including that of merit from the Bangladesh Agriculture Universit,yMymensing for securing ʺFirst position Awards’’ in her Graduation. She also received Best Presenter Award at the 4th International Conference on Green Technology, 26th-28th January, 2018, Singapore.Moreover she has attended several conferences in Kuwait, Thailand, Japan, Malaysia, and Singapore. So far she has published 42 research publications in different national and international journal and proceedings. Her current research interest is identify different feed additive for Boiler and Layer chicken to increase performance, improve meat quality and enhance immune response.
|Name of degree||Year of Passing||Results||Name of University||Thesis title|
|Bachelor of Science in Animal Husbandry (Hons)||1995||First Class (Merit position First)||Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh||--|
|Master of Science in Animal Nutrition||Exam. Held 1998||First Class (Grade A)||Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh||Study on the performance of crossbred of deshi males with egg laying strain females under farm and rural conditions.|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Animal Nutrition)
||2018||Awarded||University Putra Malaysia
||Effects of essential fatty acid, amino acid and vitamin E on growth
performance and meat quality of broiler chicken
Service Experience (Teaching and Research)
|SL||Position||Name of Institute||From||To|
||Chittagong Veterinary & Animal Sciences University||31st June 2010||Till today|
|2.||Associate Professor||Chittagong Veterinary & Animal Sciences University||21st April,2003||31st June 2010|
|3.||Assistant Professor||Chittagong Government Veterinary College||24th October'2000||20th April 2003|
|4.||Lecturer||Officers Training Institute||24th October'99||23rd October'2000|
|5.||Scientific Officer||Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute||1st April'98||23rd October'99|
|6.||Livestock Extension Officer||Department of Livestock Services||21st January'96||31st March,98|
Official Duty (In Service)
|1.||Provost, Bangamata Fazilatunnesa Hall||Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University||1/7/2018||10/1/2019||6 months|
|2.||Head of the Department, Dept. of food Biochemistry||Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University||13/07/2012||31/08/2013||1 year 21 days|
|3.||Head of the Department, Dept. of Animal Science and Nutrition||Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University.||24/2/2008||14/02/2012||4 Years|
|4.||Head of the Department, Dept. of Animal Science and Nutrition||Chittagong Government Veterinary College||01/01/2001||23/10/2003||1 Year 9 Months|
Completed Research Project as Principal Investigator and as Co-Investigator
1) Title of the project: Increasing income of poor, marginal and small- farmers by salt tolerant Fodder production, preservation and marketing in Noakhali and Laxmipur districts.
Funded by: Funding by RFLDC, DANIDA
Duration: 2 years 6 Months.
2) Title of the project: Effect of different manure on morphological characteristics growth and yield of Maize fodder. .
Funded by: University Grants Commission of Bangladesh through CVASU
Duration: 1 year.
3) Title of the project: Effect of various levels of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer with sheep and goat manure on morphology, yield and chemical composition of jumbo fodder production.
Funded by: University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
Duration: 1 year.
4) Title of the project: Effect of beef tallow on growth performance, carcass characteristics, meat composition, and lipid profile of growing lambs
Funded by: DANIDA
Duration: 1 year
5) Title of the project: Effect of the Replacement of Soybean Meal by Rubber Seed Meal on Growth, Economics and Carcass Characteristics of Broiler
Funded by: DANIDA
Duration: 1 year
6) Title of the project: Different types of maize silage and unconventional feed resources and their nutritive values
Funded by: University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
Duration: 1 year
1) Title of the project: Study on the economic and genetic evaluations and genetic abnormalities of Red Chittagong cattle.
Funded: Govt. of Bangladesh through Bangladesh Livestock Research Institute
Duration: 3 years
2) Title of the project: Crossing hilly with RIR and Fayoumi for the development of layer chickens suitable for semi-scavenging system with sonali and Nera as control.
Funded by: DANIDA trough Participatory Livestock Development Programme,
Duration: 2 years 6 Month.
3) Title of the project: Feasibility of using low cost energy supplements as alternative to soybean oil on production performance, plasma fatty acid profile and cholesterol level of broilers.
Funded by: University Grants Commission of Bangladesh
Duration: 2 years
1) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2018). Role of dietary sources ofunsaturated fatty acid on growth performance, fat deposition and meat quality of broiler: A review.Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (Accepted) (Scopus Index).
2) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2018). Effect of the dietary fat sources on performance, liver fatty acid composition and meat cholesterol content in broiler. International Journal of Engineering & Technology, 7 (3.7) (2018) 167-170.
3) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2018). Role of Amino Acid Arginine for Broiler Production: A Review.Journal of Engineering and Science Research 2 (3): 01-06.
4) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2017). Fatty acid composition, fat deposition, lipogenic gene expression and performance of broiler fed diet supplemented with different sources of oil. Animal Science Journal, 88(9):1406-1413. Doi:10.1111/asj.12775.
5) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2017). Influence of different sources of oil on performance, meat quality, gut morphology, ileal digestibility and serum lipid profile in broilers. Journal of Applied Animal Research, Doi: 10.1080/09712119.2017.1337580
6) M K I Khan, M J Khatun and M E H Hazary. 2017. Influence of feeding regime on semen quality and conception rate of Black Bengal goats by artificial insemination under the semi-intensive system. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 5 (2): 40-43.
7) M J Khatun, M R. Islam, M K I Khan and M Ebrahimi. 2016. Effects of nitrogen on growth, fodder yield and silage of maize and jumbo fodder with cowpea as inter cropping. Forage research, 42(2): 82-89.
8) M K I Khan, M J Khatun 2016. Effects of feeding on estrus synchronization and conception rate of Black Bengal goats under semi-intensive system. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 4:01-04.
9) S Ahmed, M J Khatun, M M Islam, M K I Khan, S M N Mahmud, M A Al- Noman and M Z Islam. 2015. Effect of beef tallow on growth performance, carcass characteristics, meat composition, and lipid profile of growing lambs. Journal of Advanced Veterinary and Animal Research. 2(3): 355-361.
10) M J Khatun andM K I Khan. 2015. Different types of maize silage and unconventional feed resources and their nutritive v Forage research, 41(1):1-9.
11) M J Khatun, M Z Karim, G B Das andM K I Khan. 2015. Effect of the replacement of Soybean meal by rubber seed meal on growth, economics and carcass characteristics of broiler. Iranian Journal of Applied Animal Science, 5(4):919-925.
12) M J Khatun, M K I Khan and Sharir S M S. 2014. Effect of various levels of nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer with sheep and goat manure on morphology, yield and chemical composition of Jamboo fodder production. Wayamba Journal of Animal Science, 6: 910-920.
13) M K I Khan and M J Khatun. Different traits of Black Bengal goats under two feeding regime and fitting the Gompertz curve for prediction of weaning weight in the semi-scavenging system. Indian Journal of Animal Research, 47 (6): 498-503. (Thomson Reuters IF: 0.044)
14) M K I Khan, K S Huque, G. Miah and M J Khatun.2012.Study on genetic gains and karyotype of Red Chittagong Cattle in Bangladesh. Research Opinions in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 2(9): 490-493.
15) M K I Khan, G Miah, K. S. Huque, M J Khatun and A 2012. Economic and genetic evaluations of different dairy cattle breeds under rural conditions of Bangladesh. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 24(1): http://www.lrrd24/1/khan24020.htm (Research Gate IF: 0.40)
16) M K I Khan, G Miah, M J Khatun and A 2010. Economic values for different traits of Red Chittagong cow’s. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 80 (11): 1138-(Thomson Reuters IF: 0.147)
17) M K I Khan, N C Debnath, M S A Bhuiyan, M J Khatun, B C Dey, M R Karim. 2007.Development of crossbred chickens for semi-scavenging system with the crossing of hilly (native) and Rhode Island Red and Fayoumi. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 77 (3): 257-261.
18) M K I Khan, M. J. Khatun, M. S. A. Bhuiyan and R. Sharmin. 2006. Production Performance of Fayoumi chicken under intensive management.Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 9 (2): 179-181. (Research Gate IF: 0.12)
19) M. J. Khatun, S. A. Chowdhury, M. Salauddin and M K I Khan.2004. Effect of dietary inclusion of fresh or dry duckweed (Lemnapepusulla) on the performance of broiler. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 74(7): 780-782.
20) M K I Khan, M. J. Khatun, and A K. M. G Kibria. 2004. Study the quality of eggs ofDifferent genotypes of chickens under semi-scavenging system at Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 7 (12): 2163-2166. (Research Gate IF: 0.02)
21) M K I Khan, M S A Bhuiyan, M J Khatun and D C Dey. 2004. Phenotypic Characterisation of hilly chicken of Bangladesh.Progressive Agriculture, 15 (2): 47-52.
22) M N Islam, M J Khatun, M S Uddin and M S K Sarker. 2002. Effect of using feed concentrateand enzyme in broiler diet. Bangladesh Journal of Animal Science. 31(1&2): 45-52
23) M H Ali, M A S Khan, M N Islam,M K I Khan, M. M Rashid, and M J Khatun. 2000.Comparative performance study on the crossbreds and indigenous cows under small holder dairy farming. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 3 (6): 795-798. (Research Gate IF: 0.01)
24) M K I Khan, K. S. Huque, A. G. Miah and M. J. Khatun. 2000. Study on the performanceof Red Chittagong Cows under different production system. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 3 (2): 318-319. (Research Gate IF: 0.01)
25) M Kamruzzaman, M A A Begum, S. M. F. Islam,M K I Khan and M J Khatun. 2000.Marketing system of broiler in Gazipur district: The intermediaries and their costs,margins and profits. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 3 (1): 47-51. (Research Gate IF: 0.01)
26) M J Khatun, M A Akbar, M Shahjalal and M K I Khan. 1999. Comparison of Differentprotein supplements on growth and nutrient utilization in bull calves. BangladeshJournal of Animal Sciences, 28(1-2): 141-147.
27) M K I Khan and M J Khatun.1998. Performances of F1 crossbred cows at Baghabarighatmilk shed area. Bangladesh Journal of Animal Sciences, 27 (1-2): 183-186.
28) M J Khatun, M A Akbar and Shahjalal. 1998. A study on degradability of different protein supplements. Progrssive Agriculture. 9 (1&2): 7-9.
Conference Proceedings Papers
1) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R (2018). Influence of Supplementation Vitamin E on Meat Quality in Broiler Chicken Fed Blend of Sunflower and Palm Oil. The 18th Asian-Australasian Animal Production Congress, 1 – 5th August 2018, Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia.
2) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Khan MKI (2018).Effect Of Different Dietary Sources Of Unsaturated Fatty Acid On Performance, Lipogenic Gene Expression, Fat Deposition And Meat Quality In Broiler Chicken. The International Seminar cum Workshop on“ Challenging Research by Women in STEM”2018, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
3) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R (2018). Role of dietary sources of unsaturated fatty acid on growth performance, fat deposition and meat quality of broiler: A review. The 4th International Conference on Green Technology, 26th-28th January, 2018, Singapore.
4) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2016). Growth performance and meat quality of broiler fed diets with different sources of oil and L-arginine. 4th ASIAN regional conference on animal production and 38th annual conference of Malaysian society of animal production. Le Grandeur Resort, Johor, Malaysia. 27-30 August, 2017.
5) M J. Khatun, T C Loh, H Akit, H L Foo and M K I Khan. 2018. Effect of different sources oil and L-arginine on growth performance, fat deposition and meat quality in broiler chicken. Proceedings of the 15th International Scientific Conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, 12-13 May 2018. Pp: 83-87.
6) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2016). Effect of different sources of oil on growth performance, intestinal morphology and apparent digestibility of broiler during starter period. International Agriculture congress, Hotel Bangi-Putrajaya, Malaysia, 4-6 October 2016.
7) Khatun J,Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2016). Effects of different dietary oils and L-Arginine supplementation in diet on performance, intestinal morphology and serum immunoglobulin level in broiler chickens. The 17th AAAP Animal Science Congress, Kyushu Sangyo University, Fukuoka, Japan. 22- 25 August 2016.
8) Khatun J, Loh TC, Akit H, Foo HL and Mohamad R. (2016). Performance, meat quality and gut morphology of broiler fed different sources of dietary oil. OWSD 5th General Assembly and International Conference, Kuwait 16- 19 May, 2016.
9) M J Khatun,M K I Khan. M M Islam and S Talukder. 2012. Effects of different manures on morphology and growth of maize fodder production. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Scientific Conference of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, 13-15 March 2012. Pp: 149-155.
10) M K I Khan, G. Miah, M. J. Khatun and A Das. 2010. Study on the economic and genetic evaluations of Red Chittagong Cattle for further genetic improvement. Proceedings of the Annual Research Review Workshop, BLRI, Savar, Dhaka, Publication No. 197. Pp: 18-32.
11) M A ABiswas, G.B. Das, M. J. Khatun, M. Hasanuzzaman, M. E. Hossain and M.M.Islam2007. Study on the comparative efficiency of different oils on broiler performance. . Proceedings of the fifth annual scientific conference, held on 13-14 March 2007. Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Pp: 107-111
12) M Hasanuzzaman, G.B. Das, M. J. Khatun, M. A.A. Biswas, M. E. Hossain and M.M Islam. 2007. Detection of suitable level of marine fish oil for optimum broiler performance. Proceedings of the fifth annual scientific conference, held on 13-14 March,2007. Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Pp: 117-123
13) M.M.Islam, G.B. Das, M. J. Khatun, M. A.A. Biswas, M. Hasanuzzaman and M.E Hossain2007. Feasibility study on the carcass characteristics of broiler at different ages feeding different oil sources. Proceedings of the fifth annual scientific conference, held on 13 -14 March, 2007. Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Pp: 124-130.
14) M K I Khan, M S AAlam, M J Khan and N C Debnath2003. Crossing hilly with RIR and Fayoumi for the development of layer chickens suitable for semi-scavenging system with sonali and Nera as control. Proceedings of the scientific conference in Chittagong govt. veterinary college, Phartali, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Held on June 2003, Pp: 131-137.
1) Bangladesh Krishibid Institution (KIB)
2) Bangladesh Animal Husbandry Association (BAHA)
Conference/ Congress/ Workshop/ Training Attended in Abroad
|SL||Title||Duration||Institute and Country|
|1||Higher training on Food, Food Technology and Feed Analysis||3/10/2011||25/11/2011||Copenhagen University, Denmark|
|2||General English Programme||26/02/2007||27/07/2007||Massey University New Zealand|
|3||Workshop on next generation sequencing metagenomics approaches and data analysis,||7/04/2015||9/04/2015||Malaysia|
|4||Harnessing Women’s Talents in Science, Technology and Innovation||25/05/2015||26/05/2015||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|5||Workshop on Poultry Production and Health||16/02/2016||-||Malaysia|
|6||OWSD 5th General Assembly and International Conference, Kuwait||16/05/2016||19/05/2016||Kuwait|
|7||Workshop on Advance statistics||11/04/2016||129/04/2016||Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia|
|8||The 17th AAAP Animal Science Congress||22/8/2016||25/8/2016||Kyushu Sangyo University, Fukuoka, Japan.|
|9||International Agriculture congress||4/10/2016||6/10/2016||Hotel Bangi-Putrajaya, Malaysia|
|10||The 3rd International Postgraduate Conference on Engineering, Science and Technology||04/04/2017||05/04/2017||Hatyai, Thailand|
|11||The 3rd ISTIC Biennial International Conference on Women in Science, Technology and Innovation (STI||15/05/2017||16/05/2017||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
|12||The 4th ASIAN Regional Conference on Animal Production and 38th Annual Conference of Malaysian Society of Animal Production||27/8/2017||30/8/2017||Le Grandeur Resort, Johor, Malaysia.|
|13||The 4th International Conference on Green Technology 2018||26/01/2018||28/01/2018||Singapore|
|14||The 18th Asian-Australasian Animal Production Congress
||1/8/2018||5/8/2018||Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia|
1) Animal Nutrition (ANT 201)
2) Poultry Nutrition (PNT 301)
3) Fodder production (FPR 102)
1) Avian Nutrition (AVN 602)
2) Forage production and grass land Management(FGM602)
3) Ruminent Nutrition (RNT 602)
4) Feed processing and evaluation (FPE 601)
5) Feed biotechnology (FBT 601)
6) Meat Product Technology ( MPT 602)
Supervision of Students
1) PhD Supervision: 01 On-going
2) MS Supervision: 5 Completed, 06 On-going.