Dr. Sk. Ahmad-Al-Nahid
Dr. Sk. Ahmad-Al-Nahid was born on 31 January, 1983. He is the eldest son of Mr. Sk. Abdus Samad and Mrs. Nargis Samad of the village Vina (Sheikh Para), Fatepur Union, Sadar Upazilla of Jessore district, Bangladesh. He completed his primary education from Jessore Institute Govt. Primary School, Secondary education (SSC) from Jessore Zilla School, and higher secondary education (HSC) from Jessore Cantonment College. He obtained Bachelor of Science in Fisheries (Hons) degree in 2004 from the Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, and Master of Science (M.S.) in 2006 and Ph.D. degree on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) in 2015 from Department of Fisheries Management, BAU.
Besides academic career he is sound in cultural activities. He was the former captain of debate team of Jessore Zilla School and Jessore Cantonment College. He received national award from the Prime Minister in 1996 for the Essay competition in National Education Week.
After successfully completion of service at Niribili Fisheries Ltd., Bangla Fishgen, ACI Ltd., and Winrock International, currently he is in the position of Assistant Professor, Department of Fisheries Resources Management, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Bangladesh.
1) Kunda M., A.A. Nahid, M.A. Wahab, S.H. Thilsted and N. Roos. 2009: Culture potential of Amblypharyngodon mola with carps in polyculture in farmers’ ponds of Northern region of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Fish.s Res., 13(1), 2009: 01-10.
2) Morsheduzzaman M., M.T. Alam, T. Akter, A.A. Nahid, M. Khanm and M.A. Sayeed. 2009. Socio-economic conditions of the fishermen community of Ichamati river in Santhia Upazilla under Pabna district. . Agrofores. Environ., Bangladesh, 3(2): 159-162.
3) Hasan M.R., M.A. Miah, M.A. Dowla, M.I. Miah and S.A.A. Nahid. 2011. Socio-economic condition of fishermen of the Jamuna river in Dewangonj upazila under Jamalpur district. J. Bangladesh Soc. Agric. Sci. Tech., 8(1&2):159-168.
4) Wahab M.A., A.A. Nahid, N. Ahmed, M.M. Haque and M. Karim. 2012. Current status and prospects of farming the giant river prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii (De Man) in Bangladesh. Aquaculture Research. 43, 970–983.
5) Nahid A.A., E. Karim, M.R. Hasan, A.M. Shahabuddin and M.A.B. Bhuyain, 2012. Different farming systems and comparative advantages of tilapia over other commercial aquaculture species in Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Prog. Sci. &Tech. 1(1): 093-096.
6) Alam S.B., A. M. Shahabuddin, R. Ahmed, M.A.B. Bhuyain, A.A. Nahid and M.M. Rahman, 2012. Marketing and seasonal price variation of tilapia fish in some selected areas of Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Prog. Sci. &Tech. 1(1): 089-092.
7) Nahid S.A.A., P. J.G. Henriksson and M.A. Wahab, 2013. Value-chain analysis of freshwater apple snail (Pila globosa) used for on-farm feeds in the freshwater prawn farming sector in Bangladesh. Int. J. Agril. Res. Innov. & Tech. 3 (2): 22-3.
8) Bhuyain M.A.B., M. A. Mannan and S.A.A. Nahid, 2013. Physico-chemical parameters on the intertidal sea shore water of Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh. Bangladesh J. Prog. Sci. &Tech. 11 (2): 175-178.
9) Nahid S.A.A., M. Shahabuddin, Patrik Henriksson, M.N.D. Khan, E. Karim, R. Ahmed, 2014. Present status of freshwater prawn (Macrobrachium rosenbergii) post larvae collection in the coastal region of Bangladesh. Nepalese Journal of Aquaculture and Fisheries: 150-164.
10) Henriksson P.J.G., A. Rico, W. Zhang, A.A. Nahid, R. Newton, L.T. Phan, Z. Zhang, J. Jaithiang, H.M. Dao, T. M. Phu, D.C. Little, F.J. Murray, K. Satapornvanit, L. Liu, Q. Liu, M.M. Haque, F. Kruijssen, G.R .de Snoo, R. Heijungs, P.M. van Bodegom, and J. Guinee. 2015. A comparison of Asian aquaculture products using statistically supported LCA. Environ. Sci. Technol. 1-27.
11) Islam M.K., A.A Nahid, M.S.R. Khan, M.E. Ahsan, K.A. Habib, M.M. Ali. 2015. Fishing gears used by the Fishers at Rupsha River in Khulna District, Bangladesh. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies. 4(1): 29-33.
Field of interest: SIS
Culture suitability analysis and promotion of Small Indigenous Fish Species with other aquaculture practices.
1) Worked as Research Assistant in a project named “ Impact of Tilapia on SIS ( Mola, Chela, Punti )” funded by Collaborative Research Support Programme (CRSP) from 1st January 2005 to 31st April 2005. Working area: Bangladesh Agricultural University Fisheries Field Complex, Mymensingh. Main responsibility was sample collection, assist in the research activities, sample analysis etc.
2) Worked with a G.O. named GMKS (Ghilatola Mohila Kollan Sangstha) in Comilla On “Effect of adding Mola in different densities of Carps in polyculture system in farmer’s ponds of Eastern Bangladesh” from 1st May 2005 to 24th December 2005. Working area: Bibirbazar, Aadarsha Sadar, Comilla.
3) Worked as Research Fellow in “Food and Nutrition Security ENRECA (Enhancement of Research Capability in Developing Countries) Project” linked project between BAU & KVL, funded by DANIDA from 1st May 2005 to 24th December 2005. Working areas: Mymensingh, Borguna, Comilla, and Dinajpur. Main worked related to survey and information collection, awareness building, training for culturing SIS with carps to the farmers, local NOGS and Government officials.
4) Worked as Research Assistant in a project named “Prawn-Mola culture system in Rice field” from 1st June 2005 to 24th December 2005. Working area: Gouripur, Mymensingh. Main responsibility was data collection, collection of the sample of water, plankton, fish and analysis of the samples, data analysis and report writing.
Field of interest: Tilapia
Tilapia seed production, hatchery design (Mono-sex & YY super male) and culture management
1) Worked as Scientific Officer cum Production Executive of Niribili Fisheries Limited in Niribili Group of Companies from 25th December 2005 to 20th July, 2006. Working area: Reju, Sonarpara, Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazar. Worked mainly on production of mono sex tilapia fry, fish culture, labor management, labor skill development, work distribution, supervision and other administrative responsibilities.
2) Worked as Hatchery Manager in Bangla Fishgen Ltd. from 23rd July 2006 to 30th September 2006. Working area: Kaliakoir, Gajipur to produce mono sex tilapia fry without using hormone (from YY super male), labor management, work distribution, monitoring and other administrative responsibilities.
Field of interest: Aqua-agribusiness
Aquaculture medicine business
1) Worked as Customer Services Officer (Fisheries) in ACI Limited from 8th October 2006 to 30th June 2007. Working area: Khulna Division, Bangladesh (From 8th October, 2006 to 31st January, 2007 Head Office (Dhaka) (From 1st February to 30th June 2007). Feasibility study of Aquaculture business in Bangladesh, Business survey, preliminary data collection, identification of present needs, identification of new technology and product demand at the farmer’s level.
2) Worked as Product Executive, Livestock and Fisheries in ACI Limited from 1st July 2007 to June 2009. Working area: ACI Centre, Tejgoan, Dhaka. Worked mainly on new Aquaculture business development, launching new product, Communication and relationship development, development of linkage between Government-NGO-ACI, preparation of marketing and business development plan and implementation of the project, Farmers training and need based support, Teamwork monitoring and supervision.
3) Worked as Assistant Product Manager (Livestock & Fisheries) in the department of Livestock and Fisheries at ACI Limited from July 2009 to August 2009. Worked mainly in the area of Aquaculture sector development, Maintain and run the Corporate Aquaculture business, Develop strong relationship to the national and international consultants and traders, Technology transfer, Train up Trainer, Group formation, farmers training and need based support, Teamwork monitoring and supervision, project development and implementation.
Field of interest: LCA in Aquaculture
Life Cycle Assessment of Prawn farming in Bangladesh.
1) Worked as Research Associate & PhD student at SEAT (Sustaining Ethical Aquaculture Trade) Project, a European Commission funded project in the Department of Fisheries Management of Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh from September 2009 to October 2011. Main working area was to develop a framework for sustainable trade of Aquaculture products (Freshwater prawn, Marine water shrimp) from Bangladesh to overseas market
2) Worked as Consultant of WorldFish from 2nd October 2012 to 30 November 2012 to support an analysis of the environmental profiles of different fish feeds in Bangladesh using Life Cycle Assessment.
3) Worked as National Consultant (Aquaculture Environmental Impact) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in Bangladesh August 2015 to October 2015 to support an analysis of the environmental profiles of shrimp in Bangladesh using Life Cycle Assessment.
Field of interest: Project Management in International Research and Development organization
Development of Agricultural sector in Bangladesh
1) Worked as Regional Manager at F2F (Farmer-to-Farmer) Program in Winrock International funded by USAID in Khulna from November 2011 to December 2012. Main working areas are to promote new and improved technologies to different sub sectors of agriculture including livestock and fisheries through the support of foreign volunteer experts.
Field of interest: Teaching in the field of Fisheries
Teaching on Fisheries Management at public university in Bangladesh
1) Serving as Lecturer at Department of Fisheries Resources Management in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from January 2013 to February 2015.
2) Serving as Assistant Professor and Head at Department of Fisheries Resources Management in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University from March 2015 to date. Main working areas are to develop modernized course curriculum, teaching and research in the field of fisheries and environmental sciences.
Field of interest: Aquaculture consultancy
1) Worked as Consultant of WorldFish from 2nd October 2012 to 30 November 2012 to support an analysis of the environmental profiles of different fish feeds in Bangladesh using Life Cycle Assessment.
2) Worked as National Consultant (Aquaculture Environmental Impact) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations in Bangladesh August 2015 to October 2015 to support an analysis of the environmental profiles of shrimp in Bangladesh using Life Cycle Assessment.
3) At present working as Advisor of Pedrollo nk Limited for their 200 acre culture and hatching project at Patenga and Fatikchori in Chittagong from September 2013 to date. Main working areas are to develop modern integrated Agil-Aqua farm.
Field of interest: Research project management
1) Successfully finished UGC funded project named “Environmental impact assessment of marine shrimp farming in Bangladesh” as Principal investigator from July 2013 to December 2013.
2) At present running World Bank and UGC funded HEQEP project named “Capacity building of the newly established Faculty of Fisheries and strengthening internship program of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University for producing competent graduates” as Member from September 2014 to date.
3) At present running Bangladesh Fisheries Research Institute (BFRI) funded project named “Culture of Cuchia (Mud eel) and Crab in the Selected Areas of Bangladesh and Research Project” as Member from July 2015 to date.
i) Nahid S.A.A., M.M. Haque, M.A. Wahab, D.C. Little, F. Murray, 2010: Tilapia: Silent Booming in Bangladesh. Presented in
a) 2nd PhD conference at University of Stirling, UK in 2010
b) Global conference of Aquaculture 2010, Pukhet, Thailand, 22-25 September 2010
c) 9th ISTA (International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture) in Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai, China on 22-25 April 2011.
ii) Nahid S.A.A., M.A. Wahab, P. Henriksson, F. Murray, 2012: Sustainability Analysis of Freshwater Apple Snail Pila globosa Harvesting Value-Chains Used for On-farm Feeds in the Freshwater Prawn Farming Sector, Bangladesh. Presented in
AQUA 2012 "Global Aquaculture - Securing Our Future" International Conference & Exhibition. Organized by the European Aquaculture Society and World Aquaculture Society in Prague Congress Centre, Prague, Czech Republic on 1-5 September 2012.