Dr. Himel Barua
Himel Barua obtainedthe degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) from the University of Chittagong, Bangladesh in 2000 and received MPhil degree from the University of Chittagong, Bangladesh in 2008. He was awarded a PhD from the University of Copenhagen, Denmark in 2013.
After graduating he worked for an NGO for a short period. Later he was appointed Lecturer in the Department of Microbiology, the then Chittagong Government Veterinary College (Currently Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) and was promoted to Assistant Professor in 2008. Since 2013 he has been working as an Associate Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Veterinary Public Health. As a part of additional responsibilities, currently he has been holding the position of Lab in-charge of Animal Disease Diagnosis Laboratory, Poultry Research and Training Centre (PRTC), CVASU.
His research interests include molecular characterization and antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella.
Papers Published in International Peer-Reviewed journals
1) Barua H, Biswas PK, Talukder KA, Olsen KE, Christensen JP (2014) Poultry as a possible source of non-typhoidalSalmonellaentericaserovars in humans in Bangladesh. Veterinary Microbiology 168: 372-380.
2) Le Hello S, Bekhit A, Granier SA, Barua H,Beutlich J, Zając M, Münch S, Sintchenko V, Bouchrif B, Fashae K, Pinsard JL, Sontag L, Fabre L, Garnier M, Guibert V, Howard P, Hendriksen RS, Christensen JP, Biswas PK, Cloeckaert A, Rabsch W, Wasyl D, Doublet B, Weill FX (2013) The global establishment of a highly-fluoroquinolone resistant Salmonellaenterica serotype Kentucky ST198 strain. Frontiers in Microbiology 4:395. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2013.00395
3) Barua H, Lindblom IL, Bisgaard M, Christensen JP, Olsen RH, Christensen H (2013) In vitro and in vivo investigation on genomic stability of Salmonella enterica Typhimurium DT41 obtained from broiler breeders in Denmark. Veterinary Microbiology 166: 607-616.
4) Barua H, Biswas PK, Olsen KEP, Shil SK, Christensen JP (2013) Molecular characterization of motile serovars of Salmonellaenterica from breeder and commercial broiler poultry farms in Bangladesh. PLoS ONE 8(3):e57811. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0057811
5) Barua H, Biswas PK, Olsen KEP, Christensen JP (2012) Prevalence and characterization of motile Salmonella in commercial layer poultry farms in Bangladesh. PLoS ONE7(4): e35914. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035914.
6) Biswas PK, Christensen JP, Ahmed SSU, Barua H, Das A, Rahman MH, Giasuddin M, Habib MA, Hannan ASMA, Debnath NC (2011) Mortality rate and clinical features of highly pathogenic avian influenza in naturally infected chickens in Bangladesh. OIE Revue Scientifiqueet Technique 30: 871-878.
7) Biswas PK, Christensen JP, Ahmed SSU, Das A, Rahman MH, Barua H,Giasuddin M, Hannan ASMA, Habib MA, Debnath NC (2009) Risk for infection with highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (H5N1) in backyard chickens, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases 15: 1931-1936.
8) Biswas PK, Christensen JP, Ahmed SSU, Barua H, Das A, Rahman MH, Giasuddin M, Hannan ASMA, Habib MA, Debnath NC(2009) Risk factors for infection with highly pathogenic influenza A virus (H5N1) in commercial chickens in Bangladesh. Veterinary Record 164: 743-746.
9) Biswas PK, Barua H, Uddin GMN, Biswas D, Ahad A, Debnath NC (2009) Serosurvey of five viruses in chickens on smallholdings in Bangladesh. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 88: 67-71.
10) Biswas PK, Christensen JP, Ahmed SSU, Barua H, Das A, Rahman MH, Giasuddin M, Hannan ASMA, Habib MA, Ahad A, Rahman ASMS, Faruque R, Debnath NC (2008) Avian influenza outbreaks in chickens, Bangladesh. Emerging Infectious Diseases 14: 1909-1912.
11) Biswas PK, Uddin GMN, Barua H, Roy K, Biswas D, Ahad A, Debnath NC (2008) Survivability and causes of loss of broody-hen chicks on smallholder households in Bangladesh. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 83:260-271.
12) Biswas PK, Uddin GMN, Barua H, Roy K, Biswas D, Ahad A, Debnath NC (2006) Causes of loss of Sonali chickens on smallholder households in Bangladesh. Preventive Veterinary Medicine 76: 185-195.
13) Biswas PK, Uddin GMN, Barua H, Roy K, Biswas D, Ahad A, Debnath NC (2006) Immune status of semi-scavenging Sonali chickens in Bangladesh against Newcastle disease. Livestock Research for Rural Development 18(6): Article 74. Available from http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd18/6/bisw18074.htm.
Papers Published in national journals
1) Biswas PK, Sumon AH, Barua H,Zohorul M, Biswas D (2013) Isolation, O-serotypic characterization and in vitro susceptibility of Escherichia coli isolates from chickens to five common antimicrobials used in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Science 2: 29-40.
2) Sultana M, Ahad A, Biswas PK, Rahman MA, Barua H (2008) Black quarter (BQ) disease in cattle and diagnosis of BQ septicaemia based on gross lesions and microscopic examination. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology 25: 13-16.
3) Barua H, Biswas PK, Anwar MN, Dey BC, Debnath NC (2006) Serosurvey and isolation of infectious bronchitis virus in chickens reared in commercial and semi-scavenging systems. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology. 23: 114-117.
4) Biswas PK, Biswas D, Ahamed S, Barua H,Debnath NC (2005) Seroprevalence of Mycoplasma gallisepticum infection in semi-scavenging chickens reared in rural areas of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology 22: 105-108.
5) Biswas PK, Biswas D, Ahamed S, Barua H,Kalam MA (2005) Detection of group-specific antigen (P27) of avian leucosis viruses in semi-scavenging chickens. The Bangladesh Veterinarian. 22:11-15.
General Microbiology (GMC 201)
Systemic Bacteriology and Mycology (SBM 202)
Immunology and Serology (IMS 302)
Mycology and Microbiology of Atypical Bacteria (MMA 601)
Techniques in Microbiology (TMB 601)
Advanced Systemic Bacteriology (ASB 602)
Vaccinology (VCL 602)