Md. Mahiuddin Zahangir received Bachelor of Science in Fisheries (Hons.) degree in 2012 from the Faculty of Fisheries, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, and Master of Science (M.S.) in June, 2014 from the Department of Fisheries Biology and Genetics. After successfully completing graduation with bright result, he joined as a Lecturer in the Department of Fish Biology and Biotechnology, Faculty of Fisheries, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University and served as Lecturer from March, 2014 to March, 2016. Currently he holds a position of Assistant Professor in the Department of Fish Biology and Biotechnology, CVASU.
He was born on 24 December, 1990. He is the elder son of Mr. Abdus Salam and Mrs. Mamtaz Begum. He is from the village Malijhikandha, JhenaigatiUpazilla of Sherpur district, Bangladesh. He completed his secondary education (SSC) from Malijhikandha High School and higher secondary education (HSC) from Shahid Syed Nazrul Islam College, Mymensingh.
Md. Mahiuddin Zahangir possesses a strong academic and research background in his professional arena that includes a number of internationally reputed scientific articles.
1) Reproductive neuroendocrinology of fish
2) Fish Physiology
|Name of the Degree||Name of School/
|Division, Class &
Place obtained / GPA
|Year of obtaining Certificate|
|PhD||Niigata University, Japan||On-going|
|M.S. in Fisheries Biology and Genetics||Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh||CGPA 3.891, Grade: A
(in the scale of 4.00)
|B. Sc. Fisheries (Hons.)||Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh||CGPA 3.949 (2nd in the merit list),
(in the scale of 4.00 )
Publications in Journals
1) Rahman M, Zahangir MM, Kitahashi T, Shahjahan M, Ando H. (2019). Effects of high and low temperature on expression of GnIH, GnIH receptor, GH and PRL genes in the male grass puffer during breeding season. General and Comparative Endocrinology: 282 (2019) 113200.
2) Farhana T, Haque F, Amin FB, Zahangir MM, Islam MS (2019), Developmental pliability in zebrafish: an experimental inquiry of acute salinity stress on the early life of zebrafish. Aquaculture Reports: 14 (2019) 100189.
3) Hasan MM, Zahangir MM, Akhter F and Islam MM (2018). Effects of different dietary levels of vitamin E supplementation on the growth and ovarian development of Climbing Perch, Anabastestudineus (Bloch 1792). Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 6(1&2): 10-15.
4) Rahamn MR, Khan MNA, Nahid SAA, AsaduzzamanM, Zahangir MM (2018) A tale on soft-shell crab farming in Bangladesh: new horizon in exploring blue economy; HEQEP Journal, pp 47-55.
5) Amin FB, Farhana T, Mostakim GM, Zahangir MM,Mishu MM, Islam MS (2016), Behavioral and physiological stress responses of java barb (Barbonymusgonionotus) to environmental salinity challenge; Journal of Aquaculture Engineering and Fisheries Research: 2(4): 176-184.
6) Ahmed SI, Zahangir MM, Haque F, Ahmmed MK and Shahjahan M (2016), Alteration of blood glucose and hemoglobin levels in zebrafish exposed to sumithion);Progressive Agriculture: 27(2): 216-221.
7) Zahangir MM, Haque F, Mostakim GM and Islam MS (2015), Secondary stress responses of zebrafish to different pH: Evaluation in a seasonal manner; Aquaculture Reports: 91-96.
8) Mostakim GM, Zahangir MM, Mishu MM, Rahman MK, and Islam MS (2015), Alteration of the blood parameters and histoarchitecture of liver and kidney of silver barb after chronic exposure to quinalphos; Journal of Toxicology: 1-8.
9) Zahangir MM, Haque F, Mostakim GM, Khatun H and Islam MS (2015),Effect of water pH on the early developmental responses in zebrafish (Danio rerio);Progressive Agriculture: 26: 85-89.
Publications in the Proceedings of Conference
1) Zahangir MM, Ando H, Ogiso S, Suzuki Nand Ueda H; Expression of genes for NMDA receptor NR2 subunit and gonadotropin-releasing hormones in the brain of tiger puffer in the Nanao bay during spawning season. Japan Society of Fisheries Science, autumn meeting, 26-30 March/2019, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Japan.
2) Akhter F, Islam MM, Mamun MMM, Zahangir MM; Gonadal maturation cycle of silver pomfret (Pampus argenteus) from the Bay of Bengal; 8th BFRF biennial conference, 23-24 February/2019, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council, Dhaka.
3) Ferdous Z, Zahangir MM, Akhter F and Islam MM; Exogenous dietary supplementation of pepsin: effects ongrowth, feed utilization and health status in fish (Pangus, Pangasius hypophthalmus); 8th BFRF biennial conference, 23-24 February/2019, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council, Dhaka.
4) Rahamn MR, Islam SR, Zahangir MM, Asaduzzaman M, Nahid SAA, Khan MNA; Advancement in soft shell mud crab farming in Bangladesh: a footprint towards exploring blue economy; 8th BFRF biennial conference, 23-24 February/2019, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council, Dhaka.
5) Shahjahan M, Zahangir MM, Yamada Y, Kurokawa D, Ando H; Daily and circadian expressions of melatonin receptor gene in the grass puffer larvae, The 42th Annual Meeting of the Japan Society for Comparative Endocrinology, 17-19 November/2017, Nara Women’s University, Nara, Japan.
6) Nahid SAA, Henriksson PJG, Zahangir MM, Khan MNA; Life Cycle Assessment of prawn feed resources in Bangladesh, 3rd Asian Food Safety & Security Association Conference on “Food Safety and Security”, 15-17th September/ 2016, KIIT University, India.
7) Zahangir M.M., Haque F., and Islam M.S, Effects of pH Stress on the Stress Responses in Zebrafish (Danio rerio), 2nd International Conference on Fisheries, Aquaculture And Environment In The Indian Ocean, pp 49, 24-26 February 2015, Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
8) Zahangir M.M., Haque F., and Islam M.S., “Effects of acute water pH stress on the stress indicators in zebrafish (Danio rerio)”, 5th International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, pp112-113, 5-6 September, 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
9) Zahangir M.M., Haque F., and Islam M.S, Effects of pH stress on the embryonic development of Zebrafish (Danio rerio), 6th Biennial Fisheries Conference & Research Fair; 26-27 April, 2014;Bangladesh Fisheries research Forum, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council
1) Principal investigator of the project entitled “A Histological Approach for the Characterization of the Gonadal Maturation Cycle of Pama Croaker (Pamapama)” from July/2014 to June/2015 funded by CVASU-UGC.
2) Sub-Project management team member (SPMT) of the project entitled “Capacity building of the newly established Faculty of Fisheries and strengthening internship program of Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University for producing competent graduates” from July/2014 to September/2018 funded by World Bank and UGC.
3) Co-principal investigator (Co-PI) of the project entitled “Improvement of the culture practice of the soft-shelled mud crab (Scylla Sp.) in Bangladesh” from July/2015 to June/2018 funded by Bangladesh fisheries research institute (BFRI).
Awards and Fellowship
1) Fellowship Award from “National Science and Technology”, Bangladesh in 2013 for the Master’s Research work on “Physiological stress response on Fish”.
2) Awarded with the prestigious Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) Scholarship in 2017 for PhD research in Marine Biological Station, Sado Island Center for Ecological Sustainability, Niigata University, Japan.
Seminar and Conference
1) 11th Annual Scientific Conference on Emerging Challenges in Food, Health and Environment, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong
2) 6th Biennial Fisheries Conference & Research Fair, Bangladesh Fisheries research Forum, Dhaka
3) 5th International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
4) 12th Annual Scientific Conference on Building Knowledge Based Bio-Economy: A Livestock-Fisheries-Food Industry Interplay, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong
5) 13thAnnual Scientific Conference on Promoting Food Safety, One Health and Blue Economy, Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong
6) 3rd Asian Food Safety & Security Association Conference on Food Safety and Security, KIIT University, India
7) Japan Society of Fisheries Science, autumn meeting, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Japan.
8) International Symposium between BRIMS,University of Toyama, Kitasato University, and Niigata University 2019.
FZO-101: Fisheries Zoology
FPH-202: Fish Physiology
FGB-302: Fish Genetics and Biotechnology
FEN-401: Fish Endocrinology
BAA-501: Biology of Aquatic Animals
AFP-501: Advanced Fish Physiology
MBI-502: Molecular Biology
RPF-502: Reproductive Physiology of Fishes
1) Head, Department of Fish Biology and Biotechnology, Chittagong veterinary and animal sciences university from 2nd April 2016 to 25th September/2017.
2) Assistant provost (Boy’s Hall), Chittagong veterinary and animal sciences university from 2nd September/2015 to 30th March/2016.