DR. Md. Rayhan Faruque
Department of Medicine and Surgery,
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine,
Telephone: +88 – 031 – 659492 – 3, 659093 Ext. 166, 178 (Off)
Mobile: +88-01797584829 (Cell), +88-01711036361 (Cell., Off)
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Md. RayhanFaruque received the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree from the Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, Bangladesh in 1987; MSc (Vet. Microbiology) degree from the Department of Microbiology and Hygiene, BAU in 1990; and MVSc (Avian Medicine) degree from the Copenhagen University (Former the Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, KVL), Denmark in 2003. Now, Mr. Faruque is enrolled as a PhD fellow of DMS, CVASU and will be submitted his PhD thesis on coming September, 2016.
He served as a Veterinary Surgeon at Directorate of Livestock Services under the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (MoFL), Dhaka, Bangladesh from 01.09.1992 – 07.04.1999. Then he joined as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology, FVM, CVASU, from 08.04.1999 until 10.05.2003. He promoted to Associate Professor in the DMS, FVM, CVASU, from 11.05.2003 until 30.06.2010 (Morning) and then promoted to Professor at the same Department from 30.06.2010 at evening.
1) (a) Director, SAQTVH, CVASU: 30.04.2007 to 28.02.2009
(b) Director, External Affairs: 07.08.2006 to 28.02.2009
2) Head, DMS, FVM, CVASU: 01.03. 2009 to 10.02.2011
3) Provost, Boys’ Hall, CVASU: 01.01.2014 to 26.05.2015
4) Director, Shahedul Alam Quadery Teaching Veterinary Hospital (SAQTVH), CVASU: 27.05.2015 till date.
1) P.K. BISWAS, A.N.M.A. RAHMAN, M.R. FARUQUE, P.F. SONIN, Y.V. KANAPATOV AND T. ISLAM. Adhesion properties and fimbrial antigens of pathogenic E. coli from poultry. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 13: (1&2): 15-21. 1996. www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
2) Md. RayhanFaruque, Abu Nasar Md. AminoorRahman and Abdul JalilSarker. Evaluation of the level of antibody production in chickens against Newcastle disease using Haemagglutination-inhibition test.Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 16, pp. 35 – 42. June, 1999. www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
3) MD. MOSTAFIZUR RAHMAN, ABU NASAR MD. AMINOOR RAHMAN, MD. RAYHAN FARUQUE AND ABDUL AWAL. Comparative efficacy of different drugs against Salmonella gallinaruminfection in chicks. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 16, pp. 53 – 57. June, 1999.www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
4) Md. RayhanFaruque, Abu Nasar Md. AminoorRahman, Md. MostafizurRahman and Abdul Jalil Sarker. Determination of immune status of chicken against Newcastle disease using Neutralization test.Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, 17, pp. 61 – 68. June, 2000. www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
5) PK Biswas, R Faruque, VC Dey and S Ahmed. 2001. Antibiotic sensitivity pattern of pathogenic E. coli isolated from Fayoumi chicken. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology,Vol. 18, pp. 121 – 126. December, 2001.www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
6) P.K.Biswas, B.K. Sil, R. Faruque, S, Ahmed, D. Biswas and S. Chowdhury. Adenovirus induced Hydropericurdium-hepatitis Syndrome in Broiler Parent chickens in Chittagong,
Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, Vol. 5, pp. 994 – 996. September, 2002. www.ansijournals.co
7) B.C. Roy, H. Ranvig, S.D. Chowdhury, M. Rashid and M.R. Faruque. Production of day-old chicks from cross breed chicken eggs using rice-husk incubator, broody hen, and electric incubator. Livestock Research for Rural Development, Vol. 16. March, 2004. http://www.cipav.org.co/Irrd (The international on-line journal on sustainable livestock-based agriculture).
8) M.R. Faruque, S.S.U. Ahmed, Y.C. Chowdhury and M.S. Mahmud.Prevalence of Infectious Bursal Disease in layers and broilers at Bandar upazila under Narayangonj district.Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 21, pp. 3 – 5. June, 2004.www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
9) M.R. FARUQUE and J.P. CHRISTENSEN.Impacts of Mycoplasma gallisepticumvaccine on Newcastle disease vaccination and protection in Parent Stock Flocks.Bangladesh Journal ofMicrobiology, Vol. 24, pp. 62 – 64. June, 2007.www.banglajol.info/index.php/BJM
10) M RAYHAN FARUQUE, J.P. CHRISTENSEN, M. BISGAARD, B.C. ROY and P.K. BISWAS. Factors influencing the vaccination programme for Newcastle disease in Bangladesh: Disease outbreaks, Haemagglutination-inhibition titers, and Production under Field Conditions. Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 24, pp. 90 – 94. December, 2007.
11) M.Y.E. CHOWDHURY, M.R.FARUQUE, S.S.UDDIN AHMED, AZIZUNNESA, and S. CHOWDHURY.Occurrence of diseases and disorders of goat recorded at Veterinary Teaching Hospital of Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chittagong, Bangladesh. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, Vol. 1, pp. 90 – 93. May, 2008.
12) S.S.U. AHMED, M.M. UDDIN, T. FERDUSHY, M.R. FARUQUE, and M.A.M. PRODHAN. 2008. Case study of PPR with special effort on diagnosis and treatment with atropine supported fluid therapy. Bangladesh. International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, Vol. 1, pp. 104 – 108. May, 2008.www.gscience.net
13) M.R.FARUQUE, S.U. BHUIYAN, S.S.U. AHMED and M.Y.E. CHOWDHURY. Prevalence of skin diseases ofrabbit.International Journal of Animal and Fisheries Science, Vol. 1, pp. 119 – 121.May, 2008.
14) M M Uddin, M Chowdhury, M R Faruque, Azizunnesa, O F Miazi. Prevalence and vaccine efficacy of FMD at field level in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Eco – friendly Agricultural Journal, Vol. 1, pp. 316 – 318. May, 2008.
15) P.K. Biswas, J.P. Christensen, S.S.U. Ahmed, H. Barua, A. Das, M.H. Rahman, M. Giasuddin, A.S.M.A. Hannan, M.A. Habib, A. Ahad, A.S.M.S. Rahman, R. Faruque and N.C. Debnath. The Epidemiology of Avian Influenza Outbreaks in Chickens in Bangladesh.Emerging Infectious Diseases, Vol. 14, pp. 1909 – 1912. December, 2008. www.cdc.gov/eid
16) B D Nath, P Chakraborty, M S Pallab, H Barua and M R Faruque. DIAGNOSIS OF SALMONELLOSIS IN SOME SELECTED LAYER FARMS OF COX’S BAZAR DISTRICT, BANGLADESH.Eco – friendly Agricultural Journal, Vol. 2, pp. 931 – 935. November, 2009.
17) Amitava Paul, ShamaRanjanBarua, PankajChakraborty, M RayhanFaruque and M Mansurul Amin. Comparative efficacy of a conventional and a newly developed fowl cholera vaccine in commercial layer chickens.Bangladesh Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 26(1&2), pp. 15 – 19. 2010.
18) Azizunnesa, S D Joy, M R Faruque and M O Faruk.Common bacteria associated with disease and non disease uterine sample in postpartum dairy cows. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Scientific Conference, CVASU, pp. 167 – 174.2010.
19) P K Biswas, H B Kabir, A D Gupta, J P Christensen, M R Faruque, A Das, A Kashem and F H Hossain. 2010. Networking at grass root level to enhance the diagnoses of diseases of livestock reared in smallholdings and their control in the RFLDC area, Noakhali. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Scientific Conference, CVASU, pp. 163 – 166. 2010.
20) K B Shuvo, M K Roy, M R Faruque, K ROY and K KGhosh. 2011. Prevalence of gastro – intestinal perasites in calf at Panchagar district. Eco – friendly Agricultural Journal, Vol. 4, pp. 524 – 526. January, 2011.
21) BadrulHasan, RayhanFaruque, MirvaDrobni, Jonas Waldenström, AbdusSadique, KabirUddin Ahmed, Zahirul Islam, M.B. HossainParvez, Björn Olsen, and MunirulAlam. High prevalence of antibiotic resistance in pathogenic Escherichia coli from large – and – small – scale poultry farms in Bangladesh.Avian Diseases, Vol. 55, pp. 689 – 692. April, 2011.
22) SuchandanSikder, A M EkhlasurRahman, UmmeKulsum Rima, Md. Abdul Alim, Subhagata Das, Bhajan Chandra Das and Md. RayhanFaruque. Equine Disease: A retrosprective prevalence study in farm conditions in Bangladesh. Wayamba Journal of Animal Science.ISSN 2012: 578X; Number: 1329045675. 2012.
23) SuchandanSikder, AKM AnisurRahman, Mohammad RayhanFaruque, Mohammad Abdul Alim, Shubhagata Das, Aungshuman Das Gupta, Bhajan Chandra Das, Mohammad InkeyasUddin and Mohammad Abdul MatinProdhanBovine Brucellosis: An epidemiological study at Chittagong, Bangladesh. Pakistan Veterinary Journal, Vol. 32, pp. 499 – 502. April, 2012.
24) Faruque M.R., Begum S.A., Pallab M.S., Masuduzzaman M. and Kashem M.A.Isolation rate of Salmonella in dead chickens from commercial poultry farms in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Vol. 1 (1&2), pp. 35 – 39. 2012.
25) M R Faruque, M A M Prodhan, M A Rahman, M A Parvez, B BChomel and M F Hossain. Prevalence study of abortion in dairy cattle, Bangladesh.Proceedings of the 9th Annual Scientific Conference, CVASU, pp. 100 – 103. 2013.
26) M. A. Parvez, M. R. Faruque, B. C. Sutradhar, M. M. Rahman, A. Mannan and R. Khatun. Clinical diseases and manifestations of goats and cattle recorded Teaching Veterinary Hospital in Chittagong Veterinary and Animal Sciences University. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine, Vol. 12, pp. 73 – 81. January, 2014.
27) Das BC, Ahaduzzaman M, Akter S, Hossain F, Faruque MR, Sutradhar BC. Management of a traumatic wound in a malnourished orphan Asian baby elephant (Elephasmaximus).International Journal of Natural Science, Vol. 5, pp. 21 – 25. January, 2015.
28) M A Parvez, M A M Prodhan, M A Rahman and M R Faruque. Seroprevalence and associated risk factors of LeptospirainterogansSerovarHardjo in Dairy Cattle of Chittagong, Bangladesh.Pakistan Veterinary Journal, Vol. 35, pp. 350 – 354. March, 2015.
29) M. R. Faruque, M. A. M. Prodhan, A. Ahad, A. Parvez, M. Ahaduzzaman, M. S. pallab, A. M. A. M. Z. Siddiki, M. I. Uddin, B. B. Chomel& M. F. Hossain. Mocecular characterization of LeptospiraHardjo in dairy cattle, Chittagong district.Proceedings of the 13th ASCON, CVASU, pp. 49 – 57. 02 – 03 April, 2016.
Articles Published or Accepted in Proceedings or Conference
1) Biswas P.K., Islam T., Faruque M.R., Sonin P.F., KanapatovY.V.. Adhesion properties and fimbrial antigens of pathogenic E. coli from poultry. World Veterinary Congress, World Veterinary Association, Yokohama, Japan, Free communication Sessions: Abs. no. FC 13.1.1: 148. 3 – 9 September,1995
2) Biswas P.K., Tulev, Y.V., Sonin P.F., Kanapatov Y.V., Islam T., Faruque M.R. Active nonspecific immune therapy in malignant mammary gland tumors of dogs. World Veterinary Congress, World Small Animal Veterinary Association, Yokohama, Japan, Poster Sessions: Abs. no. PS 12.1. 3-9 September, 1995.
3) M.R. FARUQUE, A.J. SARKER, M.R. ALI, M.M. AMIN, M.M. RAHMAN, & A.N.M.A. RAHMAN. Studies on the efficacy of Newcastle disease vaccines following different methods of vaccination. 15th Annual Conference, Bangladesh Society of Microbiologists, BAU, Mymensingh, Bangladesh. 4 – 5 September, 1997.
4) Md. RayhanFaruque. Evaluation of level of antibody production in chickens against Newcastle disease using Haemagglutination-inhibition test. 20th Bangladesh Science Conference, BAAS, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Section VI: Biochemistry, Pharmacy, Medicine, Nutrition, and Vet. Sciences: Abs. no. 22(vi): 12.November 28-30,1998.
5) P.K. Biswas, B.K. Sil, R. Faruque, M. Hossain, M.H. Mazumdar, M. Hasan, M. Alam, A. Zaman, H. Barua and H. Rashid.. Conventional adenovirus induced Hydropericardium-hepatitis syndrome in broiler parent stock in Chittagong. 7th Annual Scientific Conference, BSVER, CGVC, Bangladesh: 19:20. 13-14 November, 2000.
6) M.R. Faruque, J.P. Christensen, and M.R. Islam. Impacts of Mycoplasma gallisepticumvaccination on vaccine response and subsequent protection with special emphasis on Newcastle disease in Bangladesh. 6-7 January, 2004. 10th Annual Scientific Conference, BSVER, BAU, Mymensingh, Bangladesh: 27:26; 3rd ASCON of CGVC, Bangladesh.14 – 15th March, 2005.
7) M.R. Faruque, J.P. Christensen, and M.R. Islam. Preliminary investigations on factors influencing the vaccination programme for Newcastle disease as demonstrated by disease outbreaks, Haemagglutination-inhibition titers, and production under field conditions in Bangladesh. 2nd Annual Scientific Conference of CGVC. 25 – 26 February, 2004.
8) M.Y.E. Chowddury, M.A.M. Prodhan, D. Biswas, S.U. Ahmed, Azizunnesa, M.R. Faruque, M.M. Uddin, A.S.M.L. Ahsan and S. Chowdhury. Occurrence of Diseases and Disorders of Small Ruminant (Goat) Recorded at VTH of CVASU. 5th ASCON of CVASU. 13 – 14 March 2007.
9) P.K. Biswas, J.P. Christensen, S.S.U. Ahmed, H. Barua, A. Das, M.H. Rahman, M. Giasuddin, A.S.M.A. Hannan, M.A. Habib, A. Ahad, A.S.M.S. Rahman, R. Faruqueand N.C. Debnath. Study of the origin of highly pathogenic avian influenza outbreaks in Bangladesh: 1st interim report. 6th Annual Scientific Conference of CVASU.4 – 6 March 2008.
10) M.B. Hasan, M. Alam, B. Olssan and R. Faruque.. Antibiotic resistant pattern of Escherichia coli from poultry in Bangladesh. 3rd Symposium on Antimicrobial Resistant in Animals and the Environment (ARAE 2009), P31 (Poster). 1 – 3 June, 2009.
11) M. R. Faruque, S.U. Bhuiyan, M. Rahman, S.S.U. Ahmed, Y.E. Chowdhury, P. Chakraborty, M. S. Pallab and S. Sikder. A study on skin disease of rabbit in MuktagacchaUpazila of Mymensingh District, Bangladesh. . 9th ASCON of CVASU at Hotel Agrabad, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Abstract No. 09, p. 62 (Poster). 2012.
12) M. R. Faruque, M. A. M. Prodhan, M. A. Rahman, M. A. Parvez, B. B. Chomel and M.F. Hossain. Prevalence study of abortion in dairy cattle, Bangladesh. 9th ASCON of CVASU at Hotel Agrabad, Chittagong, Bangladesh. Abstract No. 36, p. 48 (Oral). 2012.
Mr. Faruquehas a strong record of research in his areas those include publications of a number of papers in the reputed peer review journals such as zoonotic diseases like Molecular characterization of animal leptospirosis and brucellosis, study of equine diseases, antibiotic resistant pattern of colibacillosis and salmonellosis at commercial broiler and layer farms, study of important poultry diseases like Newcastle disease, Adenovirus Infection and Infectious bursal disease in Bangladesh.
Mr. Faruqueis a reviewer of many journals like Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology, Journal of Infectious Diseases and Immunity, African Journal of Microbiology and Research, International Journal of Agricultural Sciences and International Journal of Agricultural Research, Innovation and Technology. His specialization on different angles of veterinary science like Zoonoses, Wild Life Medicine, Pet Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, and Epidemiology and Public Health. His field of research interest over Molecular Biology, Biotechnology and Bioinformatics.
Mr. Faruque runs some research project as listed below:
Principal Investigator of the Project “Antibiotic resistance pattern of important pathogenic bacteria from Chittagong commercial poultry farms” (January – June 2012, Funded by University Grant Commission, Bangladesh.
Principal Investigator of the Project “Isolation and identification of Salmonella from broiler and layer in the Chittagong commercial poultry farms” (January – June 2011, Funded by CVASU through Director, Research and Extension).
Principal Investigator of the Project ‘Identification an adoptable diagnostic technique and modifiable risk factors for clinical peste des petits ruminant (PPR)” (January – June 2009, Funded by University Grant Commission, Bangladesh).
Deputy Principal Investigator of the Project “Enhancement of smallholders’ livestock disease diagnoses, mapping of the important diseases and identification of risk factors in the RFLDC area.” (July 2009 – June 2011).
Co – investigator of the project “Study of the origin of highly pathogenic Avian influenza outbreaks in Bangladesh.” (May 2007 – April 2008).
Memberships of Different Society/Association/Institute
1) Bangladesh Veterinary Association (BVA)*.
2) Bangladesh Society for Veterinary Education and Research (BSVER)*.
3) Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS)*.
4) Bangladesh Society of Microbiologists (BSM)*.
5) Bangladesh Society for Immunology (BSI)*.
6) The Bangladesh Society for Parasitology (BSP).
7) Natural History and Conservation Society of Bangladesh (NHCSB)*.
8) Bangladesh National Rose Society (BNRS)*.
9) Bangladesh Krishibid Institute (BKI)*.
10) International Zoo Educators Association, South Asian Regional Network, Member, Bangladesh.
11) One World One Health – Bangladesh Initiative*.
12) World Poultry Science Association – Bangladesh Branch.
13) Bangladesh Society of Veterinary Microbiology and Public Health (BSVMPH)*. *Life Member.
SAM – 401: Small Animal and Avian Medicine (Theory). 02 Credits
ZAM – 402: Zoo and Lab. Animal Medicine (Theory + Practical). 01 Credit for each
FAM – 601: Food Animal Medicine I. 02 Credits
PDD – 601: Production Diseases of Dairy Animal. 02 Credits
AVM – 601: Avian Medicine. 02 Credits
ZWM – 602: Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine. 02 Credits
PAM – 602: Pet Animal Medicine. 02 Credits
1) Priyanka Chowdhury (Intern Student of CVASU)
2) Md. Saddam Hossain (Intern Student of CVASU)
N.B. 1) Supervised so far 40 Intern Students of CVASU
2) Supervised so far 20 Intern Students from other Veterinary School of Bangladesh
1) Sazeda Akhter (MS Fellow, Research Semester, 2016)
2) Mohammad Moinul Islam Khan (July – December Semester, 2016)
3) Pranab Paul (July – December Semester, 2016)
4) M. MojiburRahaman (July – December Semester, 2016)
N.B. Supervised so far 11 MS student from 2008 to 2015